- President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday said Nigeria, under his leadership, will continue to support the use of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes and human development only.
- Buhari, in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said he welcomes this week’s agreement between Iran and the six world powers on its nuclear programme.
- He spoke at a meeting with visiting Iranian Vice President for Executive Affairs, Mohammed Shariatmadari, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
- Applauding the agreement, the President said it was a major step towards ensuring peace and stability in the Middle East.
As a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, he said that Nigeria looks forward to the faithful implementation of the terms of the agreement by all concerned parties.
- Buhari, who received an invitation from the Iranian Vice President to attend an upcoming Summit of Gas Exporting Countries in Tehran, said it was in the interest of developing countries to maximize the use of their natural resources for the improvement of the living conditions of their people.
- Mr. Shariatmadari congratulated President Buhari on his election and assured him of Iran’s support in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism.
“The government of President Hassan Rouhani of Iran advocates moderation and departure from any form of extremism,’’ he said.