- Demolition of some structures in the popular Ladipo spare parts market in Mushin, Lagos commenced yesterday. Armed anti-riot policemen from the Lagos State Police Command headquarters, Ikeja have beefed up security.
- Officials of the Mushin Local Government closed the main gate of the market on Tuesday morning and prevented shop owners and traders from gaining access.
- According to the officials, they claim that government wanted to rebuild the market.
- The action of the local government generated tension around Mushin and its environs throughout Tuesday and yesterday.
- Traders had converged at the main gate when they heard the news of the commencement of the demolition. But in a swift reaction, the Lagos State Police boss drafted additional policemen to complement those already on ground.
- The traders alleged that they were prevented from entering the market to remove their goods from the shops.
- The Public Relations Officer of the market, Kanayo Okonkwo, said
“there was no prior notice of the closure/demolition of the market to prepare the traders beforehand.