The Board of SunTrust Bank Nigeria Limited (SunTrust Bank) has announced the appointment of Mr. Jibril J. Aku as Chairman of the bank succeeding Chief Charles Onyema Ugboko who retired upon attaining the retirement age.
Chief Executive Officer Sun Trust Bank Muhammad Jibrin in a statement said
“The Board and Management of SunTrust Bank most sincerely thank Chief Charles Ugboko for his astute leadership and contributions to the Bank. “Under his guidance, the Bank defined its strategic direction and made significant strides in executing its Fintech vision. We wish Chief Ugboko well in all his future endeavours.”
Profile of the new Board Chairman
- Aku has over 34 years banking experience with 24 years spent in senior management levels.
- Aku graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, with a Second class (Upper) bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
- He holds an MBA degree from the University of Benin.
- He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers and various professional bodies.
- He was awarded Doctor of Science in Business Administration (D.Sc.) Honoris Causa by Achievers University, Ondo State
Prior to joining the board of SunTrust Bank, he served as
- Group Head, Strategy at Ecobank Transnational Incorporated, in Lome, Togo
- Managing Director/CEO of Ecobank Nigeria Limited from 2010-2015.
- He was the Executive Director Operations and Information Technology at Former Afribank Nigeria Plc.
- Before joining the former Afribank, he was at Citibank Nigeria where he served in various capacities and departments and attained the position of Vice President and Country/ Regional Treasurer.
- He is on the board of FMDQ OTC PLC as Vice Chairman.
The outgoing Chairman, Ugboko, expressed delight at the appointment of Aku as Chairman saying:
“Jibril Aku is a seasoned banker who has also had significant Board experience in the banking and financial industry generally.”
“This combination will significantly benefit both management and the Board. I worked with him at Afribank and I have no doubt that as Chairman of the Board of SunTrust he will ensure that the Bank continues to execute and actualise the defined strategic initiatives which we began.”
SunTrust Bank, is a privately held Commercial Bank licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria in 2001 under the Banks and other Financial Institution Act.(BOFIA)