The Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON) has appointed the former Director of Flight Operations of Arik Air, Captain Abdullahi Mahmood, as the Chief Executive Officer of Aero Contractors.
This followed the step down of Captain Ado Sanusi on December 31, 2020, as the CEO of the airline.
This was disclosed by the Head of Corporate Communications, AMCON, Jude Nwuzor, on Thursday.
What you should know
- Mahmood joined Arik Air in 2007 as a flight officer and rose to become a captain before he became Director of Flight Operations.
- As a flight officer, he operated the Bombardier CRJ-900 and later started flying the Boeing B737-NG and Airbus A330. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has been notified of his new appointment.
- Sanusi was instrumental in the turning around of the over 50year -old Aero Contractors into a capable Maintenance Repair Organisation (MRO) rolling out some of its previously unserviceable aircraft in 2018 and 2019.
- Under Sanusi’s leadership, the airline sought for and gained third party maintenance approval and is already making in-roads into West and Central Africa in Ghana and Congo precisely. Also, set the process to upgrade the airline’s MRO, as well as sign various other agreements to help the airline maintain a semblance breaking even.
- AMCON took over the management of Arik Air in February 2017 when the airline had 26 aircraft, though only few are in use while the rest are in storage.