The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) ended 2020 on a bullish note as the All-Share index posted a gain of 50.03%, moving from 26,842.07 points recorded as of December 2019 to 40,270.72 points.
The top ten stockbroking firms on the NSE traded a sum of N1.17 trillion worth of shares between January and December 2020. This is according to the Broker Performance Report for the year ended December 2020.
According to the report, the top ten stockbroking firms on the stock exchange accounted for 53.87% of the total value of stocks traded in the year.
Stockbrokers by value
- Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers is top on the list with trades worth N218.14 billion, representing 10.04% of the total value of traded stocks in The Exchange.
- EFG Hermes Nigeria Limited followed with trade of stocks worth N208.86 billion, accounting for 9.61% of the total value.
- Rencap Securities also traded stocks worth N188.66 billion during the period. It accounted for 8.45% of the total value traded.
- Cardinalstone Securities Limited traded stocks valued at N126.6 billion between January and December 2020, representing 5.83% of the total traded stocks in the year.
- CSL Stockbrokers Limited recorded trades worth N96 billion. This represents 4.42% of the total traded stocks on the bourse.
- Others on the list include; Chapel Hill Denham (N88 billion), Cordros Securities (N69.3 billion), Meristem Stockbrokers (N67.7 billion), FBN Quest Securities (N61.6 billion), and ABSA Securities (N50.4 billion).
Stockbrokers by volume
The top ten stockbrokers by volume traded in 94.53 billion units of shares, representing 48.75% of the total volume of stocks traded in the year.
- Inter State Securities traded in 19.29 billion stocks during the year, representing 9.95% of the total volume of traded stocks.
- Cardinalstone Securities followed closely with trades in 14.01 billion shares, accounting for 7.22% of the total traded stocks.
- EFG Hermes traded in 10.87 billion units of stocks. This accounted for 5.61% of the total shares traded in the Stock Market.
- Morgan Capital Securities came fourth on the list with trades in 10.31 billion units of stocks, representing 5.32% of the total traded stocks.
- While Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers traded in 8.15 billion units of shares. This accounted for 4.2% of the total traded stocks.
- Others include; Rencap Securities (7.26 billion), Meristem Stockbrokers (7.08 billion), Chapel Hill Denham Securities (6.7 billion), CSL Stockbrokers (5.92 billion), and Apel Asset Limited (4.92 billion).
Overall market performance in 2020
The Nigerian Stock Exchange posted significant gains in 2020, growing its all-share index by 50.03% to close at 40,270.72 points despite the downturn caused by the Corona Virus pandemic.
- Also, the equities market capitalisation closed at N21.06 trillion as of 31st December 2020. Indicating a growth of 62.4% compared to N12.97 trillion recorded as of the corresponding period of 2019.
- The best-performing stocks in the year include; Neimeth (+260%), FTN Cocoa (+230%), Japaul Oil (+210%), Airtel Africa (185%), and Livestock Feeds with 178% positive growth.
- The NSE-Main Board Index grew by 49.84% in the year, while the NSE 30 Index recorded a 39.25% positive growth.
- Notably, the NSE Premium Index grew by 64.01%, the Consumer Goods index (+12.25%), while the Banking Index recorded a positive growth of 10.14%.