After over four hours of deliberations at the emergency meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC), a Committee was set up to meet the needs and demands of Nigerian youths behind the #EndSARS protests. The head of the Committee is Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
This information is contained in the circular issued by the National Economic Council and shared by Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant-Media & Publicity to the Vice President.
According to Akande, the Joint Committee was consequently set up by Osinbajo, SAN, to work with State governments represented by the Governors of Ebonyi, Ondo, Niger, Delta, Borno and the Sokoto States to implement the resolutions of the emergency meeting.
The National Executive Council during the meeting affirmed an unequivocal belief and assurance that most members of the nation’s security personnel are law-abiding and are capable of restoring law and order in the country.
After over 4 hours of deliberations:
NEC SETS UP COMMITTEE TO ENGAGE YOUTHS, OTHERS ON EMPLOYMENT, SOCIAL SAFETY NETS & NATIONAL UNITY
*COMMENDS NIGERIAN POLICE, SECURITY AGENCIES ON HANDLING OF DISTURBANCES IN SOME STATES
— Laolu Akande (@akandeoj) October 26, 2020
What you should know
The Joint Committee set-up by the NEC, to see to the implementation of the following frameworks and the given objectives:
• Framing of a new security and stability architecture for the country.
• A framework of engagement with the youths, civil society, and religious leaders, in a bid to promote national unity.
• A framework to engage with security agencies that will devolve more control to State governors who are the chief security officers of their states.
• A framework for the Federal Government to provide compensation for those who have incurred losses in the last few weeks.
• A social security framework for the youths and Nigerians to deal with the problem of unemployment and poverty in the country.