The European Commission has designed a new Digital Finance framework including Digital Finance and Retail Payments Strategies, and legislative proposals on crypto-assets and digital resilience.
This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Commission on Thursday.
What it means; The European Commission is paying special attention to developing a regulatory framework that will support the digitization of assets through tokenization and also smart contracts.
Why is it happening now? It plans to give investors, consumers, traders choice and opportunities in modern payments and financial services while at the same time ensuring consumer protection and financial stability.
Valdis Dombrovskis, Executive Vice-President for an Economy that Works for People, said: “The future of finance is digital. We saw during the lockdown how people were able to get access to financial services thanks to digital technologies such as online banking and fintech solutions. Technology has much more to offer consumers and businesses and we should embrace the digital transformation proactively while mitigating any potential risks.”
What the European Commission plans to regulate include;
- Crypto-assets qualifying as “financial instruments” under the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (e.g.: tokenized equities or tokenized bonds) have already in the past been subject to EU securities markets legislation.
- Crypto-assets that do not qualify as “financial instruments” such as utility tokens or payment tokens, the Commission on 24 September proposed a specific new framework that would replace all other EU rules and national rules currently governing the issuance, trading, and storing of such crypto-assets.
- This Markets in Crypto-Assets Regulation – MiCA – will support innovation while protecting consumers and the integrity of crypto-currency exchanges (no insider trading, front running, etc).
- The proposed regulation covers not only entities issuing crypto-assets but also firms providing services around these crypto-assets such as and firms operating digital wallets, as well as cryptocurrency exchanges.
Recall Nairametrics a week ago broke the news on Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), proposing a new set of rules that will regulate Crypto-token or Crypto-coin investments when the character of the investments qualifies as securities transactions.
Why a number of investors are trading stocks through blockchain
More than half (56%) of Robinhood account holders are considering leaving the platform as a result of the fiasco.
The recent outrage by WallStreetBets over the temporary suspension of GameStop (GME) and a few other stocks has led a significant number of stock traders to seek other viable means of trading stocks.
Recent data retrieved from Fortune Magazine revealed that such fiasco which led to the suspension of trading such stocks by leading American stock trading app, Robinhood, has severely damaged its brand.
More than half (56%) of Robinhood account holders are considering leaving the platform as a result of the fiasco. 40% of Robinhood investors say they aren’t considering it, and 4% say they’ve already left the platform as a result of its stock limiting. It looks like Robinhood is learning the lesson Warren Buffett preached for years: “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.”
Blockchain technology is already revolutionizing financial system services. This technology has made the need for a third party unnecessary in transactions or access to the stock market. Conventionally, buying stocks usually requires a stockbroker, paperwork, or a long list of financial assessments.
Unlike regularly traded stocks, tokenized stocks do not require any sort of paperwork or the need for a stockbroker as a middle-man, which makes them free from the stockbroker’s fees.
Tokenized stocks are derivatives assets. This simply means that the price of a tokenized stock is determined by the price of the company’s stock. If a particular asset is traded at a certain price on a stock market, the same price or a little difference in price will be traded on different exchanges.
Tokenized stocks are digitalized forms of a company’s stock traded on secondary markets. What this means is that Tesla, Apple, Facebook, etc. stocks can be traded on a crypto exchange. Trading Tesla’s stocks, for instance, on crypto exchanges makes it easily accessible to purchase anywhere.
Tokenized Gold, Silver, Tesla, etc. are traded on FTX Exchange and other leading crypto exchanges where spot markets and futures can also be traded.
What you must know: The group tagged as the Wallstreetbets is a longstanding subreddit channel founded in 2012, where many Reddit users discuss highly speculative trading strategies and ideas.
- The group has caused huge disruption to financial markets in the previous week, especially among institutional investors like Melvin Capital who recently recapitalized their fund amid its losing positions at Gamestop.
- Stock traders are becoming concerned that hot trending stocks such as GameStop, rising at such an alarming rate might lead to great chaos at global financial markets, in the long run.
That said, tokenized stocks are traded round the clock like crypto assets, though the flip-side is, they can’t be liquidated when the traditional market is closed.
Bitcoin’s bloodbath leads crypto market drop by $120 billion
The global crypto market cap is $1.41 trillion, an 8.23% decrease over the last day.
The bearish grip in the crypto market has led to heavy losses of crypto investors’ funds at the wrong side of the current trade, as roughly $120 billion worth of crypto assets evaporated into thin air within a day.
The flagship crypto that surged to a record price level of over $58,000 last weekend has now depreciated by over $11,000, as the present price shows that it trades around the $46,800 price level.
The global crypto market cap is $1.41 trillion, an 8.23% decrease over the last day.
- The total crypto market volume over the last 24 hours is $151.74 billion, which makes an 8.97% decrease.
- The total volume in DeFi is currently $13.96 billion, 9.20% of the total crypto market daily volume.
- The volume of all stable coins is now $123.76 billion, which is 81.56% of the total crypto market daily hour volume.
- Bitcoin’s price is currently $46,765.78.
- Bitcoin’s dominance is currently 61.63%, an increase of 0.10% over the day.
- For the day, 130,475 traders were liquidated.
- The largest single liquidation order happened on Binance-BTC valued at $3.56 million
Other leading crypto assets that include Ethereum, XRP, Litcoin, Chainlink, Binance coin, and Stellar lost more than 9% in value at the time of writing this report.
In addition, recent data suggest that the world’s biggest digital asset manager has seen its $32 billion Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (ticker GBTC) plunge by 20% this week alone, according to Bloomberg News, outpacing a 13% decline seen in the price of Bitcoin lately.
This suggests that after lots of money was poured into GBTC, as institutional investors sought exposure to Bitcoin’s dizzying rally, investors are now taking their exits as the current bullish rally seems to have stalled.
Sell-off in the crypto market is likely due to widespread profit-taking by global investors, coupled with strong anxiety that leading financial regulators might clamp down on its reach.
Some weeks ago, leading United Kingdom financial regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority, issued a piece of stern advice on crypto investments.
The statement highlighted the risks associated with investing in Bitcoin and other crypto-assets, and warned the public that there were high chances that all their funds could be lost.
“The FCA is aware that some firms are offering investments in crypto assets or lending or investments linked to crypto assets, that promise high returns.
“Investing in crypto assets, or investments and lending linked to them generally involves taking very high risks with investors’ money. If consumers invest in these types of products, they should be prepared to lose all their money,” said the FCA.
That said, a significant number of crypto investors appear to be shrugging off the huge falls as another typical bump on the crypto path, and one which, no doubt, will likely see crypto trading volume return as crypto investors look to buy what many are viewing as a bargain to buy in what is still very much a bullish run.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- 2020 FY: Zenith Bank post N230.6 billion profit after tax
Zenith Bank Plc released its […]
- Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc boosts post tax profits by 25.9%
Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc released […]
- 2020 FY Results: Prestige Assurance Plc reports a 50.44% increase in profit.
Prestige Assurance Plc released its […]
- John Holt falls deeper into losses
John Holt Plc released its […]
- Sales volumes crash for Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc
Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc […]