nairametrics
UBA ads

Financial Services

CBN waives guarantor requirement for N50 billion COVID-19 loan applications

Applicants to the N50 billion credit facility, who have successfully completed the application processes and submitted their account details, should expect credit alerts 48 hours afterwards.

CBN, MARKET UPDATE: CBN’s historic agriculture lending; Is it yielding the desired results?

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) announced this evening that households and SMEs applying for the N50 billion COVID-19 Targeted Credit Facility would not be required to provide guarantors before the can access they can access the credit facility.

This is according to a very brief press statement that was posted on Twitter. The statement did not give any reason for the waiver.

UBA ADS

READ MORE: 5 rules that Dangote has Adopted from The 48 Laws of Power

All applicants to the N50 billion credit facility, who have successfully completed the application processes and submitted their account details, should expect credit alerts 48 hours afterwards. If an applicant does not receive credit alert after 48 hours of submitting their account details, such an applicant should contact the CBN by calling 09010026900.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ ALSO: Nigeria’s tier-1 banks earn N18.4 billion from account maintenance charges in Q1 2020

“All successful Household and SME applicants who have submitted their account details for the CBN N50bn COVID-19 Targeted Credit Facility should expect their accounts to be credited within 48 hours of such submission, otherwise they should call 09010026900.”

Successful applicants who are yet to receive their loans have been advised to visit here. Such applicants were also informed to submit “their account details in any bank of their choice.”

onebank728 x 90

Recall that the CBN N50 COVID-19 billion Targeted Credit Facility was unveiled by the apex bank in response to the Coronavirus pandemic. The credit facility is aimed at providing financial relief to households and small businesses as they cope with the economic fallouts of the pandemic.

Nairametrics earlier reported that loan disbursements would be determined based on the activity, cashflow, and industry size of the beneficiaries. Each eligible SME will receive a maximum of N25 million while qualified households can access a maximum of N3 million each.

GTBank 728 x 90

Emmanuel covers the financial services sector for Nairametrics. Do you have a scoop for him? Well then, contact him via his email- [email protected]

1. Peter obatowose

June 9, 2020 at 12:27 am

Please what about the people that have submitted there guarantors form and collateral documents and have not received any further information or notice for the loan.

• Iheanacho Ifeyinwa glory

June 9, 2020 at 11:01 am

I have submitted my application and my account details till now I have not received any massage on my email to know if i am eligible or not

• Samuel Amantem

June 12, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Good day sir/madam, thks for good job you are doing, please send me the websites to apply for the cbn covid loan, l have been trying since but no way

• Henry

June 13, 2020 at 11:48 pm

I had applied for loan no show since 21 05 2020

• usman Idris Mahmud

June 16, 2020 at 7:49 am

Please how can I apply

• Emmanuel Chukwuebuka

June 19, 2020 at 4:07 pm

please how did you apply

• Musa sule

June 26, 2020 at 9:01 am

I need loan for business. I want to started block industry here in Abuja. Plz i need up-to 1.5millon

• Salihu Abbas

June 13, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Pls guys which website am I to used to apply for the loan

• Mujidat oyekunle ige

June 29, 2020 at 9:18 am

Please, how can I apply for the loan

• Abdullahi Yusuf

June 15, 2020 at 1:59 am

are no see massage in my phone or email

• Gbolahan Obadimeji Philips

June 19, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Can someone send me the link to the form? I have tried several times even the Microsoft aspect is problematic

• Aminu Mohammed

June 29, 2020 at 11:35 am

I have submitted my application about two weeks ago,no message not notification about household loan

• Anonymous

June 26, 2020 at 2:46 pm

How can I apply please

• Anyike David

July 1, 2020 at 9:26 am

We need more opportunities to be giving to many Nigerians to apply for this loan.

2. Ehiowemwenguan Augustine

June 9, 2020 at 8:21 am

How can fg demanded such collateral from people he claim to help,is every body especially Nigeria farmers have people as level 12 up ward and above to stand as collecteral before an loan can be granted.Do you known we apply for covid 19 loan, after paying #3000 for process,we where told to go bring our mobility documents,our gaurantor Bvn and guarantor from level 12 upward to stand for us. Over a month now we applied until now we are still looking for gaurantor inlevel 12 and above,and they are not ready to release their Bvn even calling us 419.

• Uthman El-yazaki

June 17, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Can Someone please send me the website for the covid-19 loan application?

3. Yekeen sikiru kayode

June 9, 2020 at 10:24 am

There have send me approval message in my SMS box,I enter my browser to confirm it, there tell me to check back later… Please help me find solution sir..

June 9, 2020 at 10:47 am

What of the case whereby you are told that you are receiving the loan on a 9% interest rate at a center. That is if you’re going for #500,000 loan,you will be paying #45000 as monthly interest. Then #45000 in 12 months is #540,000 and in 3 years when the loan elapses, you are paying #1,620,000 as interest for a #500,000 loan. This is too much na!!!. Some years back, financial aid given to Farmers by fg usually where at very low or no internet rate. The interest payable for #500,000 in 12 months is more than the principal amount. How will people be able to pay that. Fg should look into this ooooo

• Comfort Emiola

June 9, 2020 at 2:21 pm

I submitted my own form on 16/05/2020 and they acknowledged receiving my form and.promised to get back to me in short time,, but yet to hear from them again, I don’t know what step to take now again

• Emmanuel Bassey Udoh

June 13, 2020 at 4:12 am

I think you are not getting the whole thing here, the interest rate is per Annual not monthly, the interest rate is 5percent for a year, that’s if you pay back the loan in one year, but it exist one year their interest rate will increase to 9percent per annual. So check out your calculation.

5. Commy

June 9, 2020 at 11:03 am

What is fg saying about the interest rate which exceed the principal amount payable in 12 months. I.e #500,000*9%=#45000.#45000*12 months=#540,000*3years=#1,620,000. I use to think that aid given to Farmers where usually at very low or no interest rate.

• Anonymous

June 9, 2020 at 10:27 pm

I think the rate is 9% par annum not monthly,so check your calculation

6. Chris Omekwe

June 9, 2020 at 3:32 pm

A regular Nigerian news browser or searcher, I’m disappointed that the information of the availability of this loan was not adequately disseminated. Is it too late now :this piece didn’t even say if applications are still invited and how and where to apply to

7. Realist

June 9, 2020 at 3:45 pm

They already know where and who will receive what. The process is loaded heavily with political undertones. The arrangements is just a decor to fool the rest of us. If my observation is incorrect, let CBN published all beneficiary after the disbursements.

8. Adebanke

June 9, 2020 at 10:22 pm

I applied for the loan, but my account number was not requested.my form was acknowledged to have been received and promised to get back shortly since 2/6/2020. Please, what is the next line of action. Thanks

9. ADAMU GLORY

June 10, 2020 at 11:10 pm

They requested for my account details but i logged out to imput the information, they rejected me and said my Ive already submitted.

10. Nsarum

June 11, 2020 at 8:08 am

My candid advice to every person in leadership is to transparent in whatever scheme that is rolled out in order foster trust in the mind of the followers, knowing that every thing you’re gathering here on earth is vanity. I can’t envy you greed and myopic leader who is acquiring everything, both the one that is meant for the poor.

11. Collins

June 12, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Pls sir/madam send me the website where I can apply for the loan. Thanks

12. Aiyedun Okpeme Glory

June 13, 2020 at 9:32 am

Pls sir I need the web site and link to apply

• Nwani Ejike Edmond

June 17, 2020 at 10:50 am

Please sir how can I apply for the loan?

June 13, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Please send the website or link to apply on the loan

14. Onyemere pet onye

June 16, 2020 at 10:18 am

Pls where can I apply for the loan.

15. Evang.comr.Mira Nwa God

June 16, 2020 at 11:16 am

Pls send the websites here so that people that want to key in will freely do so.and for the people in control of this money transaction, always know that GOD is watching in all you guys are doing tanks

• Aondona Christopher

June 26, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I need a loan so that I can expand my card please.

16. EZEPUE MABEL OLUCHUKWU

June 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Please i applied since last month and attached my statement of account and i received their acknowledgement mail but up til now i have not heard from them again.

17. NSIDIBE obot

June 16, 2020 at 6:48 pm

What are the requirement.when you want to applied the covid19 loan directly with Central bank of Nigeria. If approximately we process it would it been possible to have it

18. Bello lawan

June 17, 2020 at 2:57 am

Please I need apply to this form,because i have venture business, provision enterprises,i am very eager to get assistance, because this lockdown was effect my business,

19. Cyrilnelson ogbonna

June 17, 2020 at 4:16 pm

I applied for the loan and they approved a certain account to be paid into my account but up till now I have not received the money and it’s over a week now since I submitted my account details online

• Anonymous

June 18, 2020 at 9:30 pm

My brother the same thing with me oo

20. Edet Isangedighi

June 17, 2020 at 10:11 pm

For the past two weeks I have been trying to apply for the loan online but it has not been easy for me,am married and wife is currently pregnant she was teaching in private school before the outbreak of this global pandemic,my people it’s not easy on our side our plan now is to start up business we have a shop the main challenge is the finance to start up. We are ready to comply with the laydown rule until we pay off the capital. Please.

21. Ashiru sulaiman

June 17, 2020 at 11:12 pm

please I need to apply this form,I am fermer, that is maen purpose of loan

22. Idris tijjani ladan

June 18, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Please I need apply to this form because i have venture business plastics I am very eager to get this assistance because this lockdown was effect my business please sir

23. shu'aibu sabo

June 18, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Please I want apply jaw can I do?

24. David

June 19, 2020 at 1:47 pm

How can one apply

25. Emmanuel Oguori

June 20, 2020 at 9:07 am

Am Mr Emmanuel Oguori from Delta State,I want to use the money to register my oil and gas industry from Abuja, God bless Nigeria

26. Hussein muhammed

June 20, 2020 at 1:14 pm

How can I apply for the loan? Please I need the link.

27. abdullahi

June 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm

i want to apply but i dont know how to apply sir can you show me or tell how do i do

28. Justice James

June 21, 2020 at 1:31 pm

Justice James

29. Adavba Emmanuel

June 22, 2020 at 2:09 am

Pls is d household loan application closed

30. Yusuf abubakar

June 22, 2020 at 11:21 pm

I have applied since 17 June but no any information yet ,am I not qualify or what is the problem

31. Eze Blessing Rita

June 22, 2020 at 11:23 pm

How do I apply pls

32. Azeez Ibrahim Abiodun

June 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Good day!

My loan was approved and I have submitted my account details since on 13th of this month. Yet my account has’t been credited.

• ONWE SAMPSON NWUBE

June 26, 2020 at 8:11 am

I applied,got a automated massage in my email but till now i have not gotten massage as regards to uploading my account number.

June 24, 2020 at 1:30 am

Please i want to apply for it ?

34. Aimasiko Abiodun R

June 25, 2020 at 1:37 pm

I thank God for the help u bring out sir/ ma, my question is like how many weeks are my to wait as I have applied for the from.
    Thank you, God bless you.

• Anonymous

June 27, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Pls

i want to apply for this loan this covid 19
      Have effected my b nnes hw do go about it pls

35. Okachi Moses

June 27, 2020 at 8:39 pm

please help me out sir. I am a successful applicant .I have given my bank details but is about 96hrs now I have not received the credit alert. What do I do

• Igbasanmi sunday

June 28, 2020 at 11:40 am

Pls sir which website because i want to apply for the covid-19 loan pls help me out sir.

36. Olaitan Kolawole

June 30, 2020 at 2:13 am

The website to apply is: https://nmfb.com.ng/covid-19-support/

You can try to apply, though I don’t know if they are still accepting new applications.

37. Olamijulo Catherine

June 30, 2020 at 6:19 pm

I have tried to apply for the loan but its not opening. I want to be a beneficiary of this covid-19 loan. To support my business. Please help me

Financial Services

Fidelity Bank announces closed period ahead of H2 financial statements release

Fidelity Bank Plc is expected to release its half-year 2020 financial statement on or before August 29, 2020.

Fidelity Bank Plc

Fidelity Bank Plc announced earlier today (Wednesday, July 1st, 2020) that it has commenced the preparation of its half-year 2020 financial statements.

A statement sent by the bank to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), said the financial statements would be sent to the Central Bank of Nigeria for approval, once the audit process is completed.  All things being equal, Fidelity Bank’s H2 2020 financial statements will be made available to the public by August 29 this year.

UBA ADS

In the meantime, the tier-2 bank said it shall observe a close period from today until twenty-four hours after the H2 financial statement is eventually released. The implication of this closed period is that all persons with insider knowledge of the company’s affairs shall be prohibited from trading the company’s shares. Part of the statement by the company said:

“Upon completion of the audit, the Audited Financial Statements shall be presented to the Central Bank of Nigeria for approval and thereafter, published in compliance with the provisions of the Nigerian Stock Exchange Rule Book and other relevant statutes and/or regulations. The Bank expects to publish its Audited Financial Statements for the Half Year ended June 30, 2020, on or before August 29, 2020.

READ MORE: Banks’ loans to customers rise to N18.9 trillion in Q1 2020

GTBank 728 x 90

“In addition, the trading window for dealings on the Bank’s shares shall be closed to all insiders from July 1, 2020, until 24 hours after the release of the Bank’s audited Financial Statements for the Half Year ended June 30, 2020.”

Recall that Fidelity Bank Plc released its Q1 financial statement back in April this year which showed gross earnings at N51.1 billion compared to N48.4 billion in Q1 2019. Overall, both Profit before tax and profit after tax declined by 1% y/y to N6.6 billion and N5.9 billion respectively. Annualised RoAE however moderated to 9.8% in Q1 2020 compared to 12.0% in Q1 2019 and 13.3% in FY 2019.

READ MORE: Seplat reveals new shareholder with over 5% equity

onebank728 x 90

Fidelity Bank’s stock closed trading earlier today on the NSE at a share price of N1.70, dropping by -2.30% from a previous close of N1.74. Year to date, the stock has shed about -8%.

Financial Services

Focus on some key resolutions reached during Ecobank Transnational’s 32nd AGM

Note that this was the first time Ecobank Transnational Incorporated would be holding its AGM by proxies.

Ecobank Transnational's 32nd AGM

Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI) held its 32nd Annual General Meeting (AGM) and an Extraordinary General Meeting on Tuesday, June 30, 2020. Attendance during these meetings was mainly by proxies, as part of the company’s adherence to COVID-19 preventive measures.

A statement released by ETI to the Nigerian Stock Exchange, as seen by Nairametrics, noted that a number of resolutions were reached during the meetings. For one, the company’s shareholders gave ratification to the co-option of the following new directors:

UBA ADS
  • Mr Deepak Malik, a representative of Arise B.V,
  • Ms Zanele Monnakgotla, representing Public Investment Corporation, and
  • Dr George Agyekum Donkor, representing Ecowas Bank for Investment & Development

READ MORE: UPDATED: Nigeria received $5.85 billion capital inflows in Q1 2020 –NBS

ETI’s shareholders also approved the resolution to renew/retain the services of professional services firms — Deloitte & Touche (Nigeria) and Grant Thornton (Côte d’Ivoire) — as the banking group’s joint auditors.

Meanwhile, as ETI proceeded to hold an Extraordinary General Meeting right after the AGM, more resolutions were reached. Shareholders approved the cancelation of a 2016 resolution on the consolidation of the company’s shares.

GTBank 728 x 90

Nairametrics understands that in 2016, during an Extraordinary General Meeting after ETI’s 28th AGM, the company’s shareholders had reached a resolution which directed“that the nominal value of the ordinary shares of the company be increased from two point five (2.5) US cents per share to fifty (50) US cents per share, by consolidating every twenty (20) ordinary shares held into one (1) new ordinary share each and issuing in replacement thereof new ordinary shares of fifty (50) US cents each.” Apparently, this earlier resolution on share consolidation was canceled yesterday after four years.

READ ALSO: PenCom dissolves interim management committee for First Guarantee Pension, appoints new board

Finally, ETI’s shareholders, yesterday, voted in favour of amending the company’s articles of association and including a provision for electronic general meetings. Note that yesterday was the first time Ecobank Transnational Incorporated would be holding its AGM by proxies.

onebank728 x 90

In its latest earnings report for Q1 2020, the banking group reported interest income of $340.1 million, marking a 5% increase when compared to $322.5 million in Q1 2019. On the other hand, ETI’s profit after tax for the period declined by 20% to $67.5 million, down from $84.5 million in Q1 2019.

The company’s stock is currently trading at a share price of N4.95 on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Year to date, the stock has declined by more than 22%.

GTBank 728 x 90

Financial Services

Here’s what will happen to Nigeria’s insurance sector in the short to medium term

The Nigerian insurance sector is expected to grow at a subdued rate in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nigeria's Insurance Sector

The Nigerian insurance sector is expected to witness considerable growth in the medium to long term, despite an interruption in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In specific terms, players in the smaller life insurance segment of the market are expected to grow their collective premiums by 4.8% to N179.81 billion in 2020. This is a downwardly revised forecast due to the country’s weakened economic condition. Meanwhile, the life insurance segment is expected to grow its premiums to as much as N207.96 billion by 2024.

UBA ADS

On the other hand, the non-life insurance segment of the market (which is significantly larger), is projected to grow its premiums by a revised 2.9% to N248.85 billion in 2020. In the medium term, growth in the non-life segment is expected to reach N321.53 billion in 2024.

Explore the Advanced Financial Calculators On Nairametrics

Nigeria's insurance sector

GTBank 728 x 90

It should, however, be noted that these projected growths are not going to come about easily, mainly due to Nigerians’ general lack of enthusiasm for insurance. According to Fitch Solutions, premiums growth will continue to be limited due to expected low average earnings by the insurance firms.

Widespread poverty was identified as a major factor making it impossible for a lot of Nigerians to access insurance covers. But then again, some wealthy Nigerian are known to avoid spending on insurance covers. This general lack of enthusiasm is known to hamper growth in the Nigerian insurance sector. The report, therefore, called for more action to be taken towards educating Nigerians about the importance/benefits of both life and non-life insurance.

READ MORE: Lagoon and Blue Ocean narratives of Nigerian Insurance sector – Report

onebank728 x 90

“With a market supported by the country’s steady economy and large population, Nigeria’s insurance sector will enjoy a period of growth and development over the medium and long term, albeit interrupted by a slower pace of growth in 2020 due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. The outlook for premiums growth, however, continues to be limited due to low average earnings and widespread poverty, which will weigh on insurance affordability. As even the more affluent middle-class consumers tend to avoid purchasing insurance, which hampers the growth of compulsory basic insurance lines such as motor vehicle insurance, Nigeria’s potential consumer base needs to be educated more about the benefits of both life and non-life insurance coverage to support more robust growth in the sector.

“In spite of Nigeria’s large population, only a small proportion purchases life insurance. Life premiums currently account for 41.9% of overall insurance spending in the country. Low incomes and a lack of understanding of the benefits of life insurance remain the most important obstacles facing life insurers. However, a recovering economy, coupled with rising employment and incomes, will drive demand for life insurance products over the forecast period,” part of the report said.

In view of the competitive and regulatory landscapes, Fitch Solutions noted that the insurance sector in Nigeria is replete with mostly small players. The highly fragmented nature of the market makes it very competitive, even though only a few really command a greater percentage of the market share. In total, there are approximately 57 insurance companies in Nigeria and the report forecasted that the number may shrink in the coming years due to possible mergers/acquisitions.

GTBank 728 x 90

Note that the National Insurance Commission, NAICOM, had recently revised its capital requirements for various segments of players in the insurance. You may keep up with that development by clicking here.

In the meantime, foreign players have been showing serious interest in the Nigerian insurance sector. A typical example is the French insurance firm – AXA which has stakes in Nigeria’s  AXA Mansard Insurance Plc. Other examples are South Africa’s Old Mutual Ltd and Sanlam Emerging Markets (Proprietary) Ltd. As Nairametrics reported, Sanlam recently took over full ownership of FBN Insurance Ltd after FBN Holdings Plc divested all its stakes in the insurance firm which used to be one of its many subsidiaries.