The Nigerian bourse opened for four trading days this week as the Federal Government declared 10th April 2020 (Good Friday) and 13th April 2019 (Easter Monday) public holidays.
A total turnover of 2.440 billion shares worth N19.932 billion in 18,918 deals were traded this week by investors on the floor of the Nigerian bourse, in contrast to a total of 1.534 billion shares valued at N11.267 billion that were traded last week in 18,928 deals.
The Financial Services Sector (measured by volume) led the trading volume with 2.182 billion shares valued at N11.107 billion traded in 11,322 deals; thus contributing 89.42% and 55.72% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively. The Industrial Goods followed with 102.769 million shares worth N3.633 billion in 2,483 deals.
In addition, third place was the Consumer Goods industry, with a turnover of 51.075 million shares worth N3.578 billion in 1,924 deals.
Trading activity in the top three stocks includes Omoluabi Mortgage Bank Plc., Guaranty Trust Bank Plc. and FBN Holdings Plc. (measured by volume) accounting for 1.702 billion shares worth N8.033 billion in 4,443 deals, contributing 69.76% and 40.30% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
A total of 3.027 million units valued at N13.034 million were traded this week in 23 deals, compared with a total of 6,759 units valued at N61, 035.98 transacted the previous week with 19 deals.
The NSE All-Share Index and Market Capitalization both gained by 1.37% to close the week at 21,384.03 and N11.144 trillion respectively.
All other indices finished higher with the exception of NSE Oil/Gas, NSE Lotus II, and NSE Industrial Goods which depreciated by 4.76%, 2.65%, and 6.59% respectively while NSE ASeM Index closed flat.
Thirty-five (35) stocks gained in price during the week, higher than Fifteen (15) stocks in the previous week. Eighteen (18) stocks dropped in price, lower than Thirty-six (36) stocks in the previous week, while One hundred and ten (110) stocks remained unchanged, lower than One hundred and twelve (112) stocks recorded in the preceding week.
Top 10 gainers for the week
- LAFARGE AFRICA PLC up 41.34% to close at N12.65
- WEMA BANK PLC up 25.53% to close at N0.59
- UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC up 25.25% to close at N6.20
- STERLING BANK PLC up 25.23% to close at N1.39
- FIDELITY BANK PLC up 24.26% to close at N2.10
- DANGOTE SUGAR REFINERY PLC up 20.22% to close at N10.70
- ECOBANK TRANSNATIONAL INCORPORATED up 19.23% to close at N4.65
- FBN HOLDINGS PLC up 18.99% to close at N4.70
- ZENITH BANK PLC up 17.65% to close at N14.00
- FCMB GROUP PLC Up 16.33% to close at N1.71
Top 10 losers for the week
- ARDOVA PLC down 18.48% to close at N11.25
- SKYWAY AVIATION HANDLING COMPANY PLC down 15.61% to close at N2.00
- BUA CEMENT PLC down 12.75% to close at 30.80
- LEARN AFRICA PLC down 10.00% to close at N0.90
- CUTIX PLC down 10.00% to close at N1.26
- B.O.C. GASES PLC down 9.88% to close at N3.65
- AXA MANSARD INSURANCE PLC down 9.71% to close at N1.58
- UACN PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC down 9.47% to close at N0.86
- SEPLAT PETROLEUM DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC down 9.09% to close at N495.00
- COURTEVILLE BUSINESS SOLUTIONS PLC down 9.09% to close at N0.20