Connect with us
nairametrics

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: WHO says Nigeria is among countries with highest cases

World Health Organisation has rated Nigeria among the six African countries with the highest cases of coronavirus on a global scale. 

Published

on

WHO is concerned that vaccine hoarding could prolong pandemic, COVID 19: Facebook provides free Ads to help WHO combat Misinformation, COVID 19: Facebook supports WHO, provides free Ads to combat Misinformation, Coronavirus: WHO says Nigeria is among countries with highest cases, WHO warns countries against rushing to lift coronavirus restrictions, Covid-19: WHO lists conditions for relaxing restrictions

A chart recently released by the World Health Organisation (WHO), has it that Nigeria is among the six African countries with the highest cases of coronavirus on a global scale.

According to the organization, the West Africa country’s case rose rapidly from one to over 80 cases in less than a month.

The data made available to the public by WHO disclosed that Nigeria ranked sixth African country with exploding cases of the novel pandemic, which has infected over 400,000 people globally with over 25,000 deaths recorded so far.

The African populous nation emerged sixth on the table with 81 cases, and one death recorded so far since her first case was recorded in late February 2020.

(READ MORE: COVID 19: Facebook supports WHO, provides free Ads to combat Misinformation)

GTBank 728 x 90

In the order of first, second, third, fourth, and fifth places, countries that top the list are – South Africa with 927 cases and two deaths; Algeria with 305 cases with 21 deaths, Burkina Faso with 146 and three deaths, Ghana with 132 and three deaths, and Senegal with 105 with no death.

Over 600,000 cases of the novel coronavirus have so far been recorded around the world.

Meanwhile, Oyo and Enugu states have started a lockdown curfew following new confirmed cases in the states. While the Oyo state Governor, Seyi Makinde has banned all inter-states transportation, shuts markets and restricted gatherings to not more than 10 persons, the Enugu state government has done the same, shutting all markets except the ones that sell food and drugs.

GTBank 728 x 90

Chidinma holds a degree in Mass communication from Caleb University Lagos and a Masters in view in Public Relations. She strongly believes in self development which has made her volunteer with an NGO on girl child development. She loves writing, reading and travelling. You may contact her via - [email protected]

9 Comments

9 Comments

  1. Oluolub

    March 28, 2020 at 5:16 pm

    Which way Nigeria so says Sunny Okosun. Years after his death Nigerian leaders are still grappling with answers as a toddler struggles with feeding bottle. Big shame.

  2. Ola Ilesanmi

    March 28, 2020 at 7:06 pm

    I feel Nigerian government should follow the good proactive steps taken by the United States of America by reaching out to the people directly .
    We shout not prioritise it to meet the interests of the top class in Nigeria
    We have all seen the effects is selective treatment abroad at expense of the teaming masses of Nigeria by having our medical infrastructures to rust away as mere consulting dispensaries .

  3. 9jaRealist

    March 29, 2020 at 8:33 am

    This sort of headline sheds heat without much light. SMH

    • 9jaRealist

      March 29, 2020 at 8:50 am

      Meanwhile, your information is just plain wrong, as the WHO Africa tracker shows Morocco, Tunisia, Mauritius, Cameroon, and Cote D’Ivoire, each with higher numbers of confirmed cases than Nigeria. In fact, Nigeria is not in the Top 10 (being currently in 11th).

      • Ibitoye oluwaseun

        April 4, 2020 at 1:25 pm

        Ranked 6th in the world or in Africa?

      • Anonymous

        April 14, 2020 at 6:13 pm

        Don’t mind them. Their plans will never materialise. Very poor analysis indeed coming from the Worst Health Organisation. Yes, Worst. Ask Trump.

  4. Deepcover

    April 2, 2020 at 10:49 am

    Where is Egypt in this report? Please take this thing down.

  5. Emmanuel Edet

    April 20, 2020 at 9:16 am

    Why didint donors like 2face, Dangote etc didnt go to their local governments or state to supervise the distribution of the palliatives. To the people that collected the money they dont see the effect of covid 19, as any thing. To them it is just another national cake – oil money.

  6. Anonymous

    April 24, 2020 at 9:29 am

    They way we are been treated in Nigeria is too bad,, Like animals no hope for poor masses. Govt do we are that pleases them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Coronavirus

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

On the 26th of October 2020, 119 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded in Nigeria

Published

on

The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 62,111 confirmed cases.

On the 26th of October 2020, 119 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 4,719 samples across the country.

To date, 62,111 cases have been confirmed, 57,571 cases have been discharged and 1,132 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 612,154 tests have been carried out as of October 26th, 2020 compared to 607,435 tests a day earlier.

COVID-19 Case Updates- 26th October 2020,

  • Total Number of Cases – 62,111
  • Total Number Discharged – 57,571
  • Total Deaths – 1,1132
  • Total Tests Carried out – 612,154

According to the NCDC, the 119 new cases were reported from 6 states- Lagos (77), FCT (26), Plateau (9), Edo (4), Oyo (2), Nasarawa (1).

Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 20,884, followed by Abuja (5,993), Plateau (3,603), Oyo (3,425), Rivers (2,773), Edo (2,652), Kaduna (2,617), Ogun (2,010), Delta (1,812), Kano (1,742), Ondo (1,666), Enugu (1,314),  Kwara (1,067), Ebonyi (1,049), Katsina (952), Osun (923), Abia (898), Gombe (883).  Borno (745), and Bauchi (710).

GTBank 728 x 90

Imo State has recorded 614 cases, Benue (486), Nasarawa (479), Bayelsa (403),  Ekiti (332), Jigawa (325), Akwa Ibom (295), Anambra (277), Niger (274), Adamawa (257), Sokoto (165), Taraba (140), Kebbi (93), Cross River (87), Yobe (82), Zamfara (79), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

Lock Down and Curfew

In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

GTBank 728 x 90

The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.

READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

Jaiz bank ads

 

Fidelity ads

 

 

 

 

 

Coronation ads
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: AstraZeneca vaccine gets huge boost, produces immune response in elderly

The experimental vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca Plc produced a robust immune response in older adults and the elderly.

Published

on

Covid-19: AstraZeneca vaccine gets huge boost, produces immune response in elderly, Vaccine, COVID-19: Russia to roll out vaccine in September ahead of the West 

One of the world’s leading Covid-19 vaccine candidate, which is being developed by the University of Oxford in collaboration with AstraZeneca, has produced a similar immune response in both older and younger adults with adverse responses being lower among the elderly.

While making the disclosure on Monday, the British drugmaker, AstraZeneca Plc, said the experimental vaccine produced a robust immune response in older adults and the elderly.

READ: COVID-19 vaccine likely to be ready by December – WHO

This raises hope of the early development of a vaccine for the corona virus that has killed over a million people across the world with a devastating impact on the global economy.

AstraZeneca, described as encouraging, the results and findings on immunogenicity blood tests carried out on a subset of older participants, which echo data released in July that showed the vaccine generated robust immune responses in healthy adults aged 18 to 55

GTBank 728 x 90

An AstraZeneca spokesman told Reuters, “It is encouraging to see immunogenicity responses were similar between older and younger adults and that reactogenicity was lower in older adults, where the COVID-19 disease severity is higher.’’

READ: AstraZeneca suspends COVID-19 vaccine final stage trial over safety concerns

“The results further build the body of evidence for the safety and immunogenicity of AZD1222,” the spokesman said, referring to the technical name of the vaccine.

GTBank 728 x 90

The news that older people got an immune response from the vaccine is positive because the immune system weakens with age and older people are those most at risk of dying from the virus.

It was earlier reported by Financial Times that the vaccine, being developed by Oxford and AstraZeneca, triggers protective antibodies and T-cells in older age groups – among those most at risk from the virus.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is expected to be one of the first from big pharmacies to secure regulatory approval, along with Pfizer PFE.N and BioNTech’s 22UAy.F candidate.

READ: Pfizer targets use of its Covid-19 vaccine by late November this year

If it works, a vaccine would allow the world to return to some measure of normality after the tumult of the pandemic.

Jaiz bank ads

British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said a vaccine was not yet ready though he was preparing logistics for a possible rollout.

Fidelity ads

Hancock in a chat with BBC, said, “I would expect the bulk of the rollout to be in the first half of next year.’’

READ: COVID-19: US to have enough vaccines for vulnerable Americans by end of 2020

He said that is not his central expectation, he does not rule out the possibility of some people having access to the vaccine this year.

Hancock also said, “We want to be ready in case everything goes perfectly but it’s not my central expectation that we’ll be doing that this year, but the programme is progressing well, we’re not there yet.’’

Explore Data on the Nairametrics Research Website

It can be recalled that one of the frontline vaccine candidates being developed by University of Oxford and AstraZeneca Plc, after regulatory approval, resumed its trial in the US after it was initially halted due to some safety concerns

The British drugmaker has signed several supplies and manufacturing deals with companies and governments around the world as it gets closer to reporting early results of a late-stage clinical trial.

Coronation ads

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

COVID-19: WHO warns against Gilead’s remdesivir drug approved by US FDA

WHO has expressed concern over the health implication of Gilead Science Inc’s recently approved remdesivir vaccine.

Published

on

remdesivir as first vaccine , Developing countries will pay less for COVID-19 drug – Gilead reveals 

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned health officials reviewing Gilead Science Inc’s GILD.O remdesivir against COVID-19 to consider all evidence, including a trial where the medicine failed, before giving its approval to the anti-viral drug.

While making the disclosure during a news conference, Chief Scientist at WHO, Soumya Swaminathan, said that the US regulators, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), appeared not to have considered the evidence when approving the drug this week.

Backstory

Nairametrics earlier reported that the US Food and Drug Administration on Thursday, granted full approval to Gilead’s antiviral drug for treating patients hospitalized with COVID-19, making it the first and only drug approved for the disease in the United States.

The approval came days after a WHO study had discovered the remdesivir anti-viral drug had little or no effect on COVID-19 patients’ length of stay in the hospital or chances of survival. WHO said it failed to prevent deaths among patients.

Swaminathan said that the FDA did not appear to have taken the global health body’s study into account in its approval.

GTBank 728 x 90

When asked about the FDA move during the news conference, Swaminathan said, “We believe our results are very robust. We hope that people who are doing treatment guidelines in other countries, as well as regulators around the world, will take note of our study results, in addition to the other evidence.”

“Because you need to look at the global evidence for a drug before you make decisions,” she added.

For the remdesivir arm of the WHO’s Solidarity trial, 2,743 patients were given the treatment, compared to 2,708 in the control group.

GTBank 728 x 90

Gilead’s own study of 1,062 participants, produced data indicating that the treatment cut COVID-19 recovery time by 5 days and helped reduce the risk of death in some patients who were getting oxygen.

The WHO said that the company, which has raised the possibility of bias in the unblinded WHO study because patients and their doctors were aware of which treatments were being used, got initial data showing that remdesivir failed the Solidarity trial in late September. However, the U.S. company said that it had told the FDA about initial Solidarity results.

The FDA did not immediately comment on Swaminathan’s statement that the U.S. agency did not take Solidarity data into account in its approval.

The WHO also disclosed on Friday that its formal guidelines on the use of remdesivir for COVID-19 should be ready for release in 3 to 4 weeks after a separate group within the United Nations health agency would have reviewed data from the study.

Jaiz bank ads
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ikeja electric
Advertisement
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
FCMB ads
Advertisement
IZIKJON
Advertisement
Fidelity ads
Advertisement
first bank
Advertisement
bitad
Advertisement
Stallion ads
Advertisement
financial calculator
Advertisement
deals book
Advertisement
app
Advertisement