The Board of UAC of Nigeria Plc (UACN) has notified the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) of the appointment of Karl Olutokun Toriola as the Company’s new Non-Executive Director.
According to the statement released by the company and signed by Godwin Samuel, the Company’s Secretary and Legal Adviser, Toriola’s appointment became effective from January 1, 2020.
Toriola has several years of broad-based experience in communications, spanning the areas of telecommunications, marketing, e-commerce and so on.
Toriola’s career: He is currently the Vice President of West and Central Africa for the MTN Group with responsibility for operations in the West and Central African region. He has worked in various capacities in executive leadership which include serving as Group Operations Executive for MTN Cameroon and Chief Technical Officer for MTN Nigeria where he won the Best CTO Award in 2009.
Toriola has also worked as Chief Operations/Regions officer for Vmobile Nigeria and Support Manager, West African region for L.M Ericsson Nigeria Limited.
He has also been on boards of directors as Non-Executive Director, some of which include Chairman, MTN/Areeba Guinea, Non-Executive Director of Jumia Africa, Non-Executive Director of American Towers Uganda and Non-Executive Director of MTN subsidiaries in Francophone West Africa.
His academic Background: Toriola holds a Masters of Science degree in communication systems from Swansea University, United Kingdom as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife Nigeria.
Toriola is a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers and a member of the Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria. He is an alumnus of London Business School, Havard Business school and Institute of Management Development (IMD) Switzerland among others.
About UACN: UAC Nigeria also known as UACN was first incorporated in Nigeria under the name Nigerian Motors Ltd on April 22, 1931 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the United Africa Company Ltd, the firm that later became UAC International (UACI).
It is a publicly listed company based in Nigeria. Its areas of operation include manufacturing, services, logistics and warehousing, agricultural and real estate. UACN’s food operations include UAC Franchising, UAC Restaurants and UAC Dairies.
Buhari names Dr. Uzoma Emenike as Ambassador-designate to the USA
President Buhari has named Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to the USA.
President Muhammadu Buhari has announced Dr. Uzoma Emenike as Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to the USA.
This was disclosed by the Special Assistant to the President on Digital and New Media, Tolu Ogunlesi in a social media post on Tuesday evening.
Dr. Uzoma Emenike is currently Nigeria’s Ambassador to Ireland, with concurrent accreditation to Iceland.
She hails from Abia State, with a BSc in Sociology and Anthropology from the University of Maiduguri, Masters in International Law and Diplomacy from the University of Lagos LL.B from the University of Reading in the UK.
Other academic achievements include a Master’s in International Management from the University of Reading and a Doctorate in International Relations also from the University of Reading.
She is married to Chief Ikechi Emenike and has four children.
What you should know
- Nairametrics reported last month, the death of the outgoing Nigerian Ambassador to the United States of America, Justice Sylvanus Adiewere Nsofor.
- He served as a justice of the Court of Appeal for 13 years until his mandatory retirement in 2005.
- Nsofor, who assumed office as the ambassador to the US on November 13, 2017, succeeded Professor Adebowale Adefuye who also died towards the end of his tenure.
Buhari appoints Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo as Acting DG of National Directorate of Employment
President Buhari has appointed Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo as the Acting DG of the National Directorate of Employment.
President Muhammadu Buhari has announced the appointment of Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo as the Acting Director-General of the National Directorate of Employment.
This was disclosed by media aide to the Presidency, Garba Shehu, in a social media statement on Monday.
- President Muhammadu Buhari has formally conveyed to the Hon. Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, SAN, his approval of the nomination of Mallam Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo, as the Acting Director-General of the National Directorate of Employment, pending the appointment of a substantive Director-General for the Agency.
- Last month, the President relieved the former DG of his appointment, and directed the Minister to nominate an Acting DG to superintend over the Agency, pending the appointment of a substantive DG.
What you should know
- The Federal Government through the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) formally kick-started the Special Public Works (SPW) programme, which was designed to create 774,000 jobs across the nation, with the inauguration of the State Selection Committees in 2020.
- Nairametrics reported last month that President Muhammadu Buhari approved the sack of Dr Nasiru Mohammed Ladan Argungu as the Director-General of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) with effect from December 7, 2020.
- The Presidency did not give any specific reason for the sack.
Joe Biden appoints Nigerian-born Funmi Olorunnipa Badejo as Counsel
Nigerian-American, Funmi Olorunnipa Badejo has been appointed as a member of the office of the White House Counsel.
U.S President-elect, Joe Biden, announced the appointment of Nigerian-American Funmi Olorunnipa Badejo as a member of the office of the White House Counsel, to serve as an Associate Counsel.
He announced it this week in a statement seen on his transition website.
A part of the statement reads:
- “The Counsels are experienced and accomplished individuals, have a wide range of knowledge from various fields and will be ready to get to work on day one.”
What you should know about Funmi Badejo
- Funmi Olorunnipa Badejo, before the announcement, was General Counsel of the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, chaired by House Majority Whip, James E. Clyburn.
- Other government roles she has served include serving as Counsel for Policy to the Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Ethics Counsel at the White House Counsel’s Office, and Attorney Advisor at the Administrative Conference of the United States during the Obama-Biden administration.
- She started her career as an associate with the law firm of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP and was also a Legal Counsel at Palantir Technologies Inc.
- She is a graduate of Political Science from the University of Florida, with a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from Harvard University and holds a Law Doctorate from the University of California School of Law.
- She becomes the 3rd Nigerian American to be appointed under the Biden Government.
Biden’s transition committee said the new Counsels would work under the direction of White House Counsel, Dana Remus, and “help restore faith in the rule of law and the accountability of government institutions.”
In case you missed it