After weeks of sustained border closure, latest reports have shown that Nigerians are now patronizing Made-in-Nigeria rice and other locally produced food items instead of the imported ones.
Also, the latest Household Survey carried out by Nairametrics Research team shows a massive increase in prices of major imported household items across Lagos markets. It was learnt that while the price of local rice rose due to increased demand, there was a big jump in the prices of imported rice.
For instance, Items such as locally made rice increased by 13% from an average of N16,000 to N19,000, while foreign-made rice recorded a huge 35% increase in price, from a previous average of N18,875 to N25,500.
Also, a bag of brown beans (50kg) which sold earlier for an average of N13,500 now sells for N17,250, indicating a 28% increase in price.
This report reflects items that increased in price, those items that decreased in price, special markets and general insights.
Items that witnessed price increase
The price of locally made (50kg) rice increased from an average N16,000 to N18,000, indicating a 13% increase in price.
- According to reports, foreign rice is scarce in the market, due to the partial border closure imposed by the Federal government. Foreign rice is now sold for an average of N25,500, indicating a significant 35% increase.
- Also, a bag of white beans increased by 2% from N20,500 to N21,000, while a bag of brown beans (50kg) increased by 28% to now sell for an average of N17,250.
- A bag of 50kg yellow garri now sells for an average of N5,250, representing 8% increase in price.
Items with reduction in prices
According to the latest prices obtained at the market, a bag of 50kg beans (Oloyin) reduced by 1% from an average of N13,875 to N13,750.
- Also, a 50kg bag of white Garri reduced by 13% from and an average of N5,900 to N5,125.
- Locally made palm oil also reduced in price. 5 litres of locally made palm oil now sells for an average N1,850, compared to the previous N2,000 two weeks ago. A 25-litre gallon of locally made palm oil that was sold for N10,700 two weeks ago now sells for an average of N9,500.
- A 5 litre gallon of locally made groundnut oil reduced by 15% from a previous N2,325 to N1,975, while a 25-litre gallon also reduced by 3% from an initial average of N10,875 to an average of N10,500.
- Lastly, a big basket of round shaped tomatoes now sells for N8,000 from an earlier N14,000, representing a 43% decrease in price, while a big basket of oval-shaped tomatoes reduced by 22% from an initial N9,000 to N7,000.
- The sellers of tomatoes at Mile 12 market enlightened Nairametrics research team that the red round shaped tomatoes are imported from Ghana and are popularly referred to as Ghana tomatoes, while the oval shaped tomatoes are grown and harvested in the Northern part of Nigeria.
- It was also discovered that the price of onions increased at Mile 12 market, as a big bag of dry onions now sells for N18,000, compared to the former N16,000 reported two weeks ago.
- Meanwhile, a big bag of new onions sells for N13,000 from the previous N11,000. According to information obtained, the increase was attributed to the limited quantity of onions available in the market (North), as there is high demand for the commodity across the country.
The Nairametrics Research Team interviewed traders of various commodities across the various markets and recorded reactions with respect to the current market situation.
- Sellers of rice across the major markets disclosed their dissatisfaction towards the persistent rise in prices of foreign and locally made rice due to border closure and high demand of locally made rice.
A rice seller called John disclosed that he had just one bag of foreign rice remaining in his store and he planned to keep it until it would be worth as much as N30,000 in the market, which is likely to happen soon, according to him.
- However, John called on the government to help boost the local production of rice in the country so as to meet the high demand for the commodity.
- A seller of frozen foods disclosed to Nairametrics research that she has stopped selling because most consumers have opted for the purchase of live chickens in place of the regular frozen chickens and turkeys.
About Nairametrics Food Price Survey
The Nairametrics Food Price Watch is a bi-weekly household market survey that covers prices of major food items, with emphasis on four major markets in Lagos – Mushin Market, Daleko Market, Oyingbo Market and Mile 12.
|Items||Brand||Unit||MUSHIN (26/09/2019)||DALEKO (26/09/2019)||OYINGBO (26/09/2019)||MILE 12 (26/09/2019)||Average||MUSHIN (13/09/2019)||DALEKO (13/09/2019)||OYINGBO (13/09/2019)||MILE 12 (13/09/2019)||Average|
|Bag of Rice||Basmati||5kg||6500||6000||6500||6500||6375||6500||6000||6500||6500||6375|
|Bag of Rice||Mama Gold||10kg||0||0||0||0||4000||3500||4000||3700||3800|
|Bag of Rice||Royal Stallion||50Kg||26000||25000||26000||25000||25500||19500||18000||19500||18500||18875|
|Bag of Rice||Rice Master||10kg||0||0||0||0||0||3500||3500||3500||3500||3500|
|Bag of Rice||Mama Gold||50kg||18000||17000||18000||17000||17500||16000||15500||16000||15500||15750|
|Bag of Rice||Caprice||50kg||26000||25000||26000||25000||25500||19500||18000||19500||18500||18875|
|Bag of Rice||Mama's Pride||50kg||19000||17000||18500||17500||18000||16500||15500||16000||16000||16000|
|Bag of Rice||Falcon||25kg||0||0||0||0||0||6800||6500||6800||6800||6725|
|Bag of Beans||Oloyin||50kg||14000||13500||14000||13500||13750||14000||13500||14000||14000||13875|
|Bag of Beans||White||50kg||22000||20000||22000||20000||21000||22000||20000||22000||18000||20500|
|Bag of Beans||Brown||50kg||18000||16500||17500||17000||17250||14000||12000||14500||13500||13500|
|Tuber of Yam||Abuja||1 Big Size Tuber||700||700||700||650||687.5||700||700||700||650||687.5|
|Tuber of Yam||Abuja||1 Medium Size Tuber||500||550||600||500||537.5||500||550||600||500||537.5|
|Carton of Noodles||Indomie||305g (Belle full)||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900||2900|
|Carton of Noodles||Indomie||200g (Hungry man)||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200||3200|
|Carton of Noodles||Chikki||100g||2000||2200||2100||2100||2100||2000||2200||2100||2100||2100|
|Carton of Noodles||Minimie||70g||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500||1500|
|Carton of Noodles||Golden Penny||70g||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400|
|Bag of Garri||Ijebu||80kg||7000||6800||7000||7000||6950||7000||6800||7000||7000||6950|
|Bag of Garri||White||50kg||5500||5000||5500||4500||5125||5800||6000||6000||5800||5900|
|Bag of Garri||Yellow||50kg||5000||5000||5500||5500||5250||4700||4700||5000||5000||4850|
|Basket of Potato||Sweet||Big Basket||5000||5000||5000||5000|
|Basket of Potato||Sweet||Small Basket||700||700||700||700|
|Basket of Potato||sweet||Smallest Basket||200||200||200||200|
|Basket of Potato||Irish||Biggest Basket||20000||20000||20000||20000|
|Basket of Potato||Irish||Medium Basket||2000||2000||2000||2000|
|Basket of Potato||Irish||Small Basket||1500||1500||1500||1500|
|Packet of Pasta||Golden Penny||500g||3300||3400||3400||3400||3375||3300||3400||3400||3400||3375|
|Packet of Pasta||Dangote||500g||3500||3500||3400||3400||3450||3500||3500||3400||3400||3450|
|Packet of Pasta||Power (1 pc)||500g||180||200||180||200||190||180||200||180||200||190|
|Packet of Pasta||Bonita (1 pc)||500g||200||200||200||200||200||200||200||200||200||200|
|Gallon of Palm Oil||Local||5 Litres||2000||1700||2000||1700||1850||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000|
|Gallon of Palm Oil||Local||25 Litres||10500||9000||9500||9000||9500||11000||10500||10800||10500||10700|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Local||5 Litres||2000||1900||2000||2000||1975||2400||2200||2400||2300||2325|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Local||25 Litres||12000||9500||11000||9500||10500||11000||10500||11000||11000||10875|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Kings||5 Litres||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000||3000|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Wesson||5 Litres||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900||3900|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Mamador||3.8 Litres||2500||2450||2500||2400||2462.5||2500||2450||2500||2400||2462.5|
|Gallon of Vegetable Oil||Power||3 Litres||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800||1800|
|Bunch of Plaintain||Plaintain||1 Big Bunch||400||400||350||400||387.5||400||400||350||400||387.5|
|Bag of Flour||Dangote||50kg||10800||10500||11000||11000||10825||10800||10500||11000||11000||10825|
|Bag of Flour||Honey well||50Kg||11500||11000||11200||11000||11175||11500||11000||11200||11000||11175|
|Bag of Flour||Mama Gold||50kg||11500||11300||11000||11000||11200||11500||11300||11000||11000||11200|
|Bag of Sugar||Dangote||50kg||3500||3200||3400||3200||3325||3500||3200||3400||3200||3325|
|Milk||Peak Powdered (Tin)||400g||1250||1200||1200||1200||1212.5||1250||1200||1200||1200||1212.5|
|Milk||Peak milk (Refill)||500g||1050||1000||1000||1000||1012.5||1050||1000||1000||1000||1012.5|
|Milk||Dano Powdered (Tin)||500g||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000|
|Milk||Loya Powdered (Tin)||400g||1000||1000||1000||1050||1012.5||1000||1000||1000||1050||1012.5|
|Cocoa Beverages||Milo (Tin)||500g||1000||1100||1050||1000||1037.5||1000||1100||1050||1000||1037.5|
|Cocoa Beverages||Milo (Tin)||900g||2000||2100||2100||2100||2075||2000||2100||2100||2100||2075|
|Cocoa Beverages||Milo Refill||500g||900||900||900||900||900||900||900||900||900||900|
|Cocoa Beverages||Bournvita Refill||500g||950||900||950||900||925||950||900||950||900||925|
|Cocoa Beverages||Bournvita (Plastic)||900g||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000||2000|
|Cocoa Beverages||Ovaltine Refill||500g||800||800||850||850||825||800||800||850||850||825|
|Tea||Lipton Yellow label||52g||310||290||300||300||300||310||290||300||300||300|
|Sugar||St' Loius Sugar(Cube)||500g||400||380||400||450||407.5||400||380||400||450||407.5|
|Sugar||Golden Penny Sugar (cube)||500g||350||300||350||300||325||350||300||350||300||325|
|Bottled Water (Refill)||Cway||Refill||600||600||650||600||612.5||600||600||650||600||612.5|
|Juice||5 Alive||1 litre||600||550||550||600||575||600||550||550||600||575|
|Tomatoes||Big Basket||round shaped||8000||8000||14000||14000|
|Medium Basket||round shaped||6500||6500||8000||8000|
|Small Basket||round shaped||5000||5000||6000||6000|
|Big Basket||Oval Shaped||7000||7000||9000||9000|
|Small Basket||Oval Shaped||4500||4500||4000||4000|
|Fish||Kote (Horse Mackerel)||1 kg||450||450||500||420||455||450||450||500||420||455|
|Fish||Titus (Mackerel)||1 kg||450||400||450||450||437.5||450||400||450||450||437.5|