Connect with us
nairametrics

Business News

MTN issues statement in reaction to EFCC’s purported raid on its head office

@MTNNG has released a statement denying any wrongdoings hours after @officialEFCC and some officials of the @PoliceNG purportedly laid siege on its head office in Falomo, Victoria Island.

Published

on

EFCC raif of MTN Nigeria

MTN Nigeria has released a statement denying any wrongdoings hours after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and some officials of the Nigerian Police visited its head office in Falomo, Victoria Island.

In its statement to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Saturday, May 25, 2019, MTN Nigeria explained that it had received a request from the anti-graft agency asking for information and documentation related to the listing of our shares on the NSE.

No wrongdoing: MTN Nigeria said it has not been accused of any wrongdoing by the EFCC. According to the statement which was obtained by Nairametrics, MTN Nigeria reiterated that all regulatory approvals required to list its shares on NSE were received and confirmed by the NSE and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

MTNN is co-operating with EFCC: The telecommunications company went further to stress that it is co-operating with the anti-graft agency and other authorities.

The purported raid by EFCC: EFCC and some Police officers purportedly shut down MTN Nigeria‘s head office on Friday shortly before close of business. The company’s staff reportedly told to remain inside the building, even as the doors were opened for them to leave an hour later.

GTBank 728 x 90

Checks by Nairametrics, however, confirmed that the incident was not quite a raid as it had been reported by some outlets. If anything, the visit by the EFCC was a routine regulatory check. Note that no arrest was made, neither was there any carting away of documents to imply the visit was a raid.

No word from the EFCC: The anti-graft agency has not officially addressed the incident as at the time of publishing this report. When Nairametrics contacted EFCC‘s Head of Public Affairs, Ayo Oyewole, he said he wasn’t aware of the situation.

The Backstory: Controversy began to trail MTN Nigeria‘s listing by introduction on the NSE after many investors realised they cannot easily buy it due to liquidity issues. As you may already know, the leading telco has yet to conduct an initial public offering, because the company is not looking to raise funds in the meantime. As a result, this has made it impossible for many investors to buy the stock.

Deal book 300 x 250
GTBank 728 x 90

In the meantime, however, some of MTN‘s core investors have been engaging in off-market sales in a bid to take advantage of the growing demand for the stock. Note that the high demand for MTN Nigeria shares had pushed up the price from the initial listing price of N90 to around N140 on Friday.

Note: Nairametrics will update you once there’s a new development.

Olalekan is a certified media practitioner from the Nigerian Institute of Journalism (NIJ). In the era of media convergence, Olalekan is a valuable asset, with ability to curate and broadcast news. His zeal to write was developed out of passion to shape people’s thought and opinion; serving as a guideline for their daily lives. Contact for tips: [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Coronavirus

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

On the 22nd of October 2020, 138 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded in Nigeria

Published

on

The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 61,805 confirmed cases.

On the 22nd of October 2020, 138 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 4,648 samples across the country.

To date, 61,805 cases have been confirmed, 56,985 cases have been discharged and 1,127 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 595,283 tests have been carried out as of October 22nd, 2020 compared to 590,635 tests a day earlier.

COVID-19 Case Updates- 22nd October 2020,

  • Total Number of Cases – 61,805
  • Total Number Discharged – 56,985
  • Total Deaths – 1,1127
  • Total Tests Carried out – 595,283

According to the NCDC, the 138 new cases were reported from 13 states – Katsina (44), Lagos (35), Kwara (15), Kaduna (13), Plateau (7), Imo (6), Adamawa (5) Rivers (4), Yobe (3), Ogun (2), Oyo (2), Osun (1), FCT (1).

Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 20,768, followed by Abuja (5,944), Plateau (3,594), Oyo (3,423), Rivers (2,746), Edo (2,648), Kaduna (2,585), Ogun (1,989), Delta (1,812), Kano (1,741), Ondo (1,659), Enugu (1,314),  Kwara (1,065), Ebonyi (1,049), Katsina (948), Osun (919), Abia (898), Gombe (883).  Borno (745), and Bauchi (710).

GTBank 728 x 90

Imo State has recorded 613 cases, Benue (484), Nasarawa (478), Bayelsa (403),  Ekiti (329), Jigawa (325), Akwa Ibom (295), Anambra (277), Niger (274), Adamawa (257), Sokoto (162), Taraba (122), Kebbi (93), Cross River (87), Yobe (82), Zamfara (79), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

Lock Down and Curfew

In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

GTBank 728 x 90

The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.

READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

 

Jaiz bank ads

Fidelity ads

 

 

 

 

 

Coronation ads
Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

Breaking: Senatorial, State House of Assembly bye-elections postponed – INEC

Senatorial and State House of Assembly bye-elections slated to hold on October 31 in 11 states have been postponed by INEC.

Published

on

Nigeria's election delay

The 6 Senatorial and 9 State House of Assembly bye-elections slated to hold on October 31 in 11 states of the Federation has been postponed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The vacancies were as a result of death and resignation of previous members.

According to the statement issued by its National Commissioner & Chairman, Information and Voter Education, Festus Okoye Esq., INEC said the decision was taken after meeting with the 37 Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) on Thursday.

Though the commission did not categorically state the reason for the postponement, feelers are that it may not be unconnected with the raging #EndSARS protests across the nation.

 

GTBank 728 x 90

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

ENDSARS

#EndSARS: President Buhari issues stern warning to hoodlums

The President has issued a warning to hoodlums who have hijacked the #EndSARS protest to promote unrest.

Published

on

You are working for Nigeria, not for personal interests, Buhari warns MDAs, This is how much the Federal Government borrowed from Pension Funds in 2019, Increased productivity and higher employment rate required for inclusive growth - IFC , Of visions, plan and budget,FG to review petrol price in April, President Buhari holds National Security Council Meeting with IGP, Defence Minister, VP, and others, President Buhari issues stern warning to hoodlums in his state of the Nation address to Nigerians

President Buhari, in his state of the Nation address to Nigerians this evening has warned hoodlums and the conflict entrepreneurs who have hijacked the #EndSARS protest to promote unrest.

The President explained that the choice to demonstrate peacefully is a fundamental right of citizens as enshrined in Section 40 of the Constitution and other enactments.

“I must warn those who have hijacked and misdirected the initial, genuine and well-intended protest of some of our youths in parts of the country, against the excesses of some members of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS),” he said.

President Muhammad Buhari frowned against the desperate and inhumane actions of mobsters, arsonists and hoodlums which has led to the loss of human lives, sexual violence, attacks on correctional facilities, as well as public and private properties which were completely destroyed or vandalized.

(READ MORE:#EndSARS: Police officers who participated in abuse of citizens must be fished out – Governors’ Forum)

GTBank 728 x 90

He explained that these bad actions will not be tolerated, as it is not in line with the legitimate expression of grievance of the youth of the country. He reiterated that the Government shall continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens, are protected.

What you should know from the President’s State of the Nation address

The President reiterated that the government has the obligation to protect lives and properties, and ensure that the citizens go about their daily businesses freely and protected from acts of violence.

GTBank 728 x 90

However, he appealed to protesters to note and take advantage of the various well-thought-out initiatives of this administration designed to make their lives better and more meaningful, and resist the temptation of being used by some subversive elements to cause chaos with the aim of truncating our nascent democracy.

The President, however, warned the youth that doing otherwise will amount to undermining national security as well as law and order, which under no circumstances will be tolerated.

President Buhari thus called on the youths to discontinue the street protests and constructively engage the government in finding solutions, as their voices have been heard loud and clear.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ikeja electric
Advertisement
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
FCMB ads
Advertisement
IZIKJON
Advertisement
Fidelity ads
Advertisement
first bank
Advertisement
bitad
Advertisement
Stallion ads
Advertisement
financial calculator
Advertisement
deals book
Advertisement
app
Advertisement