Connect with us
nairametrics
UBA ads

Business News

MTN Nigeria to trade N90 per share on the NSE

MTN Nigeria, barring unforeseen circumstances, would be listing a total of 20,354,513,050 shares at N90 per share on Thursday, May 16, 2019.

Published

on

MTN

Following MTN‘s application approval to list on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), a senior management staff at The Exchange, who doesn’t want his name mentioned in the media, has disclosed that the telco, barring unforeseen circumstances, would be listing a total of 20,354,513,050 shares at N90 per share on Thursday, May 16, 2019.

Nairametrics understands that when MTN Nigeria becomes listed at N90 per share, the telco would emerge the second largest company on the nation’s bourse after Dangote Cement Plc, with a market capitalisation of N1.83 trillion.

UBA ADS

Nairametrics had earlier reported that the company successfully completed the registration of 20.345 billion ordinary shares of N0.02 each with the Securities and Exchange Commission(SEC).

Also, commenting on the successful registration, MTN Nigeria‘s CEO, Ferdi Moolman, described the development as a milestone in the company’s listing process.

“I AM EXCITED WE HAVE ACHIEVED ANOTHER MILESTONE IN OUR LISTING PROCESS, AND WE WANT TO THANK THE SEC AND THE CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION (CAC) FOR SUPPORTING US THROUGH THE PROCESS. WE HAVE NOW BEGUN TO ENGAGE WITH THE NSE TO COMPLETE THE LISTING PROCESS.”-MOOLMAN

MTN’s Q1 Result: The news of MTN Nigeria‘s NSE debut is coming after the release of its first quarter 2019 report, which indicated that the company recorded steady growth during the period under review.

GTBank 728 x 90

Specifically, the Q1 report shows that MTN Group‘s biggest market (i.e., MTN Nigeria), recorded a 13.4% increase in service revenue, year on year. Also, the subsidiary’s earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortisation (EBITDA) margins also increased by 53.3%.

Upshots – Since the release of the Q1 report, investors have been eagerly anticipating the official commencement of MTN‘s shares trading. Basically, the announcement of steady growth in MTN Nigeria‘s revenue is expected to boost investors’ confidence to buy MTN’s shares with expectations of high dividends payable to shareholders. Similarly, stock brokerage firms should equally be on the line to earn significant fees from the volumes of trade this could provide.

Deal book 300 x 250

Famuyiwa Damilare is a trained journalist. He holds a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mass Communication at the prestigious Nigerian Institute of Journalism (NIJ). Damilare is an innovative and transformational leader with broad-based expertise in journalism and media practice at large. He has explored his proven ability in the areas of reporting, curating and generating contents, creatively establishing social media engagements, and mobile editing of videos. It is safe to say he’s a multimedia journalist.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Business News

AfDB board denies asking Adesina to step down, as Obasanjo says the bank risks being hijacked

“The Bureau of the board of governors informs the public that it has not taken any decision. Everyone must allow the Bureau to do its work and allow due process to reign.”

Published

on

AfDB partners DFID to unveil $80m infrastructure financing for Africa, ADB launches $3 billion “Fight COVID-19” Social Bond, US calls for an independent probe of AfDB president, Akinwumi Adesina, AfDB board denies asking Adesina to step down as Obasanjo says the bank risks being hijacked

The Bureau of the Board of Governors of the African Development Bank (AfDB) has denied media reports making the rounds that AfDB’s president, Akinwumi Adesina, has been asked to step down pending the completion of the probe and determination of allegations against him.

The bank’s top governing board members said that they have not asked Adesina to step down from his position as president, even as the board continues to review the fallout of complaints by some whistleblower. The statement from the Chairman of the bank’s board of governors, Niale Kaba, said:

UBA ADS

“The Bureau of the board of governors informs the public that it has not taken any decision. Everyone must allow the Bureau to do its work and allow due process to reign. All governors will be carried along in resolving the issue.’’

Kaba also stressed that there was no governance crisis at AfDB as was being speculated in certain quarters. He confirmed that the Bureau of the Board of Governors of AfDB met on Tuesday, May 26, after the request by the U.S Secretary calling for an independent probe. The essence of the meeting was to take a closer look at the allegations by the whistleblowers against Akinwumi Adesina, said allegations which had already been investigated by the ethics committee of the bank.

Kaba further disclosed that even though no decision has been taken yet, the bureau assures that it is treating the case with the utmost seriousness that it deserves.

GTBank 728 x 90

(READ MORE:  AfDB bows to pressure from U.S, orders an independent probe of Akinwumi Adesina)

Adesina, who maintains his innocence of those allegations, had stated that a fair, transparent, and just process will vindicate him.

In a related development, former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo had thrown his weight behind Adesina and kicked against the demand by the United States of America for a fresh, independent probe of the AfDB President who had earlier been cleared by the ethics committee of the bank.

In his letter to 12 former African Presidents, Obasanjo said that Africa must stand up and not allow its institutions to be unduly controlled by non-African countries.

Obasanjo said that the bank has witnessed tremendous growth under Adesina’s leadership and has doubled its capital base since he took over.

app

devland
Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

How N400 billion ecological funding can save Nigeria’s coastline

The waves of current from the ocean have become more violent, eroding the nation’s coastline which poses a serious threat.

Published

on

How N400 billion ecological funding can save Nigeria’s coastline

With the higher rainfalls predicted for the year 2020, states in Nigeria may have to worry about something more serious than a flood – the erosion of the coastlines.

According to Mr Kabiru Abdullahi, Lagos State Commissioner for Water Front Infrastructure Development, the waves of currents from the ocean have become more violent, eroding the nation’s coastline and compounding environmental degradation, and flooding.

UBA ADS

This development is already posing serious threats to several parts of Lagos state, which is known to be a coastal city.

According to NAN, the state government had already constructed 18 groins to wade off the violent currents from the oceans, but Abdullahi admitted that given the current situation, there is a need to construct at least 60 more groins.

These groins, he explained, would act as breakers, trapping sand from moving down the beaches.

GTBank 728 x 90

(READ MORE:Lagos State conducts social media poll on whether to lock down or not.)

What can N400 billion do to save the situation

Coastline erosion is a seasonal problem which will always occur when there is a rise in sea level, as is expected during the rainy season. If the government does not armour the shorelines with seawalls, jetties and groins, there could be more property and land losses.

How N400 billion ecological funding can save Nigeria’s coastline

According to the commissioner, N400 billion would be just enough to construct groins to cover another 60 kilometres in addition to the 7.2 kilometres done so far.

“On the Eko Atlantic City Project, so far, 18 groins have been constructed at 400 metres intervals covering a distance of about. We still have about 60 kilometres to go which is estimated to cost about N400 Billion,” he said.

app

The Ecological fund is an intervention fund set up by the Federal Government to address the various environmental challenges in communities across the country, but interestingly, the Lagos state government has not accessed any ecological fund on this project so far.

devland

(READ MORE:Fourth Mainland Bridge to begin before December)

Lagos state budget for 2020 was put at N1.17 trillion with environment getting N66.586 billion of the sum. With this sum, there is no way the ministry of environment can take on the task of funding a N400 billion project on coastline and shoreline protection, and this is only one of the numerous environmental challenges the state has to deal with. The state budget has even been reviewed downwards in view of the COVID-19 induced economic challenges.

Illegal dredging activities and land reclamation for urban development are also creating serious environmental issues for Lagos and left on its own, and without intervention funding from the federal government, the coastline situation could be left to deteriorate even further with the onset of the rain

As the commissioner suggested, the federal government might want to consider allocating some of the “recently released tranche of Abacha loot of about $313 million” for this purpose, as it no doubt qualifies as a critical infrastructure for the country.

 

app

 

Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

New OPEC+ output cut proposal may stall if Russia …

OPEC is weighing the possibility of continuing with the current level of OPEC+ production cuts till the end of the year in order to support the oil market.

Published

on

OPEC+ Alliance, US, Russia, Canada, Mexico reach historic deal to cut 13.4 million bpd, Oil market still uncertain over the OPEC+ deal as prices react positively, 7 oil producing countries most affected by covid-19, see where Nigeria is placed

Some members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Country (OPEC) and Saudi Arabia are considering extending the historic production cuts of almost 10 million barrels per day beyond June.

They are weighing the possibility of continuing with the current level of OPEC+ production cuts till the end of the year in order to support the oil market; however, they are yet to get the support of Russia.

UBA ADS

Russia could be a stumbling block to sustaining the output cut deal beyond June, though OPEC+ and top oil-producing countries had pledged in April to restrict production to 9.7 million barrels per day in May and June, and then 7.7 million barrels from July to December.

According to reports, Saudi Arabia is pushing for the deeper 9.7 million barrel per day output cut to be extended beyond June up to the end of 2020, in order to rebalance the oil market, which is still bedevilled by a lot of uncertainty and volatility.

(READ MORE: Now that Oil is back)

GTBank 728 x 90

Russia on its part, which is a key ally to OPEC has been non-committal on this plan. The Russian government on Tuesday approved a plan to increase oil production as soon as the OPEC+ deal ends. This they hope to achieve by having new oil wells drilled this year and in 2021 for 2022 production.

According to a report from oilprice.com, Saudi Arabia believes the oil market still needs support and wants to continue with the current output cut until the end of the year. Russia wants the same, but the major challenge is with the oil companies who had failed to reach any agreement at their meeting on Tuesday.

About half of the Russian oil firms support the extension of the current output cut while the other half are against the extension but rather calling for the continuation of output cut that was earlier agreed by OPEC+. As a result, Russia is typically non-committal and would wait to see how much oil demand will recover.

 

 

app

devland
Continue Reading