Nigerian labour unions have unanimously fixed Tuesday, October 30, to hold a nationwide mass protest as part of its activities to sensitise workers and other Nigerians.
In a joint statement signed by Presidents of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), and United Labour Congress of Nigeria (ULC), Ayuba Wabba, Bobboi Kaigama and Joe Ajaero, respectively, the organised labour said the move was to compel the government to conclude all processes and announce a new minimum wage.
The labour unions accused the Federal Government of playing games with the new minimum wage and vowed not to negotiate the figures agreed upon again.
“Let us today remember those who deny us and let us collectively demonstrate our position at next year’s polls,” the statement stated.
The statement further read that the organised labour would organise “a day of national outrage and mourning, which will be used to sensitize Nigerians on our plight and on the issues at stake.
“This shall take place in all states of the federation, including Abuja on Tuesday, October 30, 2018. A meeting of various organs of the unions will hold as appropriate.
“On Friday, November 2, 2018, a Joint Central Working Committee, CWC, meeting of all the labour centres in Nigeria shall hold to receive reports and make final preparations for our ultimate engagement with the Federal Government on this matter.
“This is the first time in the history of this nation in recent times that such meeting will take place and this goes a long way to show the seriousness with which Nigerian workers and its leadership hold this matter.
“If nothing is responsibly done by the Federal Government to meet our demands, on Monday, November 6, we shall embark on a nationwide strike to compel this government to show more sensitivity to the plight of Nigerians and the suffering that is decimating our people on daily basis.”
Nairametrics had reported that the Federal Government’s new minimum wage suffered a major setback. This was confirmed by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige who had earlier announced when the new minimum wage will commence.
During the 40th anniversary of NLC in Abuja, the minister had said that the minimum wage would commence before the end of September 2018, with claims that workers will experience a surge in their wages.
According to Ngige, the new wage structure will not commence anytime soon as earlier announced. He added that the setback was because State Governors are yet to submit their proposal on a new wage system.