Nairametrics| The Federal Government (FG) through the Federal Character Commission has shortlisted over 3,500 workers under the employ of the FG who will lose their jobs despite the current recession and pleas from government officials for private sector companies to stop mass retrenchment. Information about the sacking exercise as reported by Daily Times shows the following 6 facts.
- The South bears the highest burden with more than 60% of those to be sacked coming form the South
- The South-East, followed by the South-West were the worst hit regions with the North Central being the Northern region with the highest casualties.
- Almost all ministries were affected by the sacking exercise.
- The Ministry of Communication has the least number of staff to be sacked (66) while the Ministries of Education (809) has the highest number to be sacked.
- Reasons given for the sack were “irregular appointments are appointments that are not backed by approved declared vacancies, in which case, government does not have the financial provision for them.”, fake appointment letters or that “the offers were not accepted within the stipulated two months.”
- The exercise is ongoing and more workers could lose their jobs as time goes on.