Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, has said that the Federal Government expects no out-of-court settlement with MTN over the $3.9 billion fine, unless MTN withdraws its lawsuit.
The Judge handling the case, had last week adjourned the matter to March 18, 2016 in order to enable parties to try and settle matter.
“I’m not aware of any out-of-the-court settlement.” Adebayo Shittu told reporters.
The Minister also said that President Muhammadu Buhari will have the final decision on the matter, adding that MTN might be advised to withdraw the court case filed against the fine.
“If they withdraw it creates a better environment, an environment where there is no stress or pressure on either side,” he said.
The fine imposed by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), which was reduced by 25% from $5.2 billion to $3.9 billion equates to more that twice MTN’s annual average capital spending over a five year period.