- Nigeria loses N8.7 billion yearly because many electricity consumers use Incandescent bulbs which consumes more energy, Electricity Consumers Association of Nigeria (ECAN) has said.
- Secretary, Board of Trustees of ECAN, Mr Goodluck Enyinnaya, made the disclosure on Wednesday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
He said: “Nigeria loses N8.7 billion every year because many electricity consumers use incandescent bulbs which consume more energy than energy saving bulbs; hence a large quantum of energy is lost by this process.
“That is why ECAN is advising energy consumers in the country to use the energy saving bulbs which consumes lesser energy,’’ he said.
- According to him, the essence of using the energy saving bulbs was to ensure that a lot of energies could be saved for other purposes.
- He said that the association was making efforts to ensure that consumers paid fewer tariffs on the electricity they consume.
- Enyinnaya urged consumers to be rational in their power consumption by ensuring that they used appropriate electrical appliances, adding that the use of obsolete devices affected power negatively.
- He advised consumers to use energy saving bulbs which attract fewer tariffs and also reduced money they spent on buying fuel for their generators because incandescent bulbs also consume more fuel.