- The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on Thursday arrested six members of a suspected money laundering syndicate that specializes in swallowing dollars.
- In a statement, the agency said that the group, which includes a bureau de change operator, were caught in connection with swallowing US$156,000 (about N32 million) meant for export to Brazil.
- Those arrested are Kingsley Nwokenta, a bureau de change operator also known as Buchito; Augustine Onwuasoanya, 54, and Christian Okoli, 35, both based in Brazil; Uzoma Ezenwa, 33, a hotel manager; Ikenna Ezenwa; and Emmanuel Nwokenta.
- The suspects were caught at Excel Oriental Hotel, along Airport Road, Lagos, where the dollars were being swallowed, the NDLEA said.
- The anti-narcotics agency stated that its interim investigation showed that Kingsley Nwokenta, 37, who operates Amazon Bureau de Change, is the brain behind the alleged criminal act.He allegedly supplied US$120,000 to be swallowed and illicitly exported to Brazil,” said Muyiwa Adeniyi, NDLEA Commander, Joint Task Force.
Onwuasoanya Augustine swallowed 74 wraps of dollars amounting to US$111,000. Christian Okoli who resides in Brazil had US$45,000 which he wanted to swallow.”