- The Director-General of Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), Dr. Joseph Odumodu has said that the agency has seized substandard products worth N4 billion since the beginning of the year.
- Odumodu made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Sunday, adding that in September, the agency seized substandard telephone sets worth N350 million.
“In the last three days, we have confiscated over N350 million worth of telephone sets that are substandard. If I add that to the number I have earlier, we have a number of about four billion naira this year alone.
I tell you that is not a thing of joy because all these products were imported, paid for with genuine dollars and would be destroyed and they are Nigerian money,’’ he said.
- Odumodu called for a law to jail people involved in the importation of substandard products into the country.
- According to him, the organisation now has a new act that confers additional power to prosecute offenders on it.
“I promise you that before the end of this year we may be celebrating the jailing of, at least, one major substandard kingpin in Nigeria,’’ Odumodu said.
- He said the organisation was doing everything possible to ensure that the importation of substandard products into the country was reduced to 10 per cent by the end of the year.