- Gov. Adams Oshiomhole of Edo on Friday advised public officers and politicians to get rid of their private jets as President Muhammadu Buhari had begun blocking financial leakages in the country’s economy.
- Oshiomhole made this known at a public lecture titled “Labour and the Nigerian Economy: What needs to be done”, held at the University of Port Harcourt.
- He said that businessmen who connived with some officials of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to defraud the nation through subsidy claims would be probed.
“Few people (in Nigeria) are taking away so much wealth, while majority of the people are going home with almost nothing. “A clear example is when you arrive at the private wing of the airport in Abuja; you will find more than 40 to 50 private jets parked there in one airport alone.
- Oshiomhole called on President Muhammadu Buhari to revoke licences of electricity generation and distribution companies, saying the sector was “fraudulently” privatised and currently enmeshed with corruption.
- According to him, the country will grow economically if policy makers come up with policies that were in-tune with the character of Nigerians
- Source: NAN