Connect with us
Gage

Debtors Shiver, As CBN Will Publish List by August

Published

on

external debt servicing, debt serving, Nigeria's debt, Nigeria's debt portfolio

About N400 billion bad debts outstanding in the banking sector is causing panic in the industry and most of the debtors are individuals who have the capacity to pay but have refused to do so.
Following this development, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), and Deposit Money Banks in the country has concluded plans to publish the list of such debtors starting from August 1, 2015.

Mrs Tokunbo Martins, Director, Banking Supervision, CBN, who spoke to journalists on the outcome of the 322 Bankers Committee meeting in Abuja said that “You will recall that at the last Bankers Committee meeting, we discussed about publishing the names of serial debtors of banks.
“We discussed this again because of the fact that the date is drawing close. Last time we had the meeting, we said that there should be three months of grace to give the debtors the opportunity to put the facilities back to performing status.
“So, by the 1st of August, any debtor that hasn’t done so, the name will be published by the bank. So, the banks are encouraged to speak to their customers that fall into that category that they should put in more effort to pay off,’’ she said .

Martins said that the total credit currently in the system was between N13 and N14 trillion and about three per cent of it was non-performing.
She stressed that banks had an upper limit target of five per cent.
On the electronic banking space, Mr Phillip Oduzua, chief executive of UBA, said that 12.5 million customers had been enrolled on the Bank Verification Number (BVN) exercise.
“We believe that this is a substantial mileage that we have made and there is still room to close the gap knowing that the deadline for everybody to enrol is June 30th.
“In the event that any customer is not enrolled, it is possible that the customer may not be able to enjoy a lot of the banking services.
“As such, we will urge all customers of banks to enrol so that they would continue to enjoy unhindered services from the banks,’’ he said.

According to him, customers who fail to enrol may not enjoy credit facilities, foreign exchange services and internet banking, among others.
On cashless policy, Oduzua said with the progress made so far, the policy would be extended to every part of the country before the end of third quarter.
On the foreign exchange market, Mr Jubril Aku of Ecobank said that the committee reviewed the sector and would continue to partner CBN to meet legitimate needs of customers.

Specta
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Coronavirus

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

On the 18th of January 2021, 1,617 new confirmed cases and 14 deaths were recorded in Nigeria

Published

on

The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 112,004 confirmed cases.

On the 18th of January 2021, 1,617 new confirmed cases and 14 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

To date, 112,004 cases have been confirmed, 89,939 cases have been discharged and 1,449 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 1.17 million tests have been carried out as of January 17th, 2021 compared to 1.15 million tests a day earlier.

COVID-19 Case Updates- 18th January 2021,

  • Total Number of Cases – 112,004
  • Total Number Discharged – 89,939
  • Total Deaths – 1,449
  • Total Tests Carried out – 1,172,234

According to the NCDC, the 1,617 new cases were reported from 18 states- Lagos (776), Kaduna (147) Kwara (131), FCT (102), Plateau (78), Edo (59), Ogun (53), Osun (45), Rivers (37), Taraba (36), Nasarawa (34), Adamawa (33), Kano (26), Delta (20), Ebonyi (16), Bayelsa (11), Gombe(11) and Borno (2).

Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 41,400, followed by Abuja (14,700), Plateau (6,831), Kaduna (6,325),  Oyo (4,695), Rivers (4,429), Edo (3,320), Ogun (2,912), Kano (2,617), Delta (2,122), Ondo (2,070), Katsina (1,723), Kwara (1,697), Enugu (1,583), Gombe (1,500), Nasarawa (1,335), Ebonyi (1,275), Osun (1,260),  Abia (1,134), and Bauchi (1,107).

Specta

Borno State has recorded 867 cases, Imo (857), Sokoto (677), Akwa Ibom (667), Benue (657), Bayelsa (619), Adamawa (573), Niger (547), Anambra (515), Ekiti (473), Jigawa (425), Taraba (294), Kebbi (251), Yobe (211), Cross River (169),  Zamfara (162), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

Lock Down and Curfew

In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

The movement restriction, which was extended by another two weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

Coronation ads

On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State announced the closed down of the Eti-Osa Isolation Centre, with effect from Friday, 31st July 2020. He also mentioned that the Agidingbi Isolation Centre would also be closed and the patients relocated to a large capacity centre.

Due to the increased number of covid-19 cases in Nigeria, the Nigerian government ordered the reopening of Isolation and treatment centres in the country on Thursday, 10th December 2020.

Coronation ads

READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

Stanbic IBTC

 

Jaiz bank ads

 

 

Continue Reading

Around the World

US Capitol complex temporarily shut down

The US Capitol complex was shut down temporarily on Monday as a precautionary measure after a small fire broke out nearby.

Published

on

The US Capitol complex was shut down temporarily for about an hour on Monday as a precautionary measure after a small fire broke out nearby, highlighting the security concerns that are being raised days before the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

The security concerns and the lockdown follows the January 6 attack on the US Capital by supporters of the outgoing US President, Donald Trump, after his encouragement and inciting comments, calling the Presidential election a fraud without any proof of evidence.

READ: President Trump says he won’t attend Joe Biden’s inauguration

Some of them even called for the death of the US Vice President, Mike Pence for presiding over the certification of Joe Biden’s November election victory.

While making the disclosure in a statement, the Capitol Police said that the lockdown has been lifted and the nearby fire contained.

Specta

The Acting Chief of the Capitol Police had said that the complex which comprises of the Capitol, its grounds and several buildings were shut down as a precautionary measure.

READ: US Supreme court dismisses Texas bid to overturn presidential election results

The US Secret Service in a tweet post on its official Twitter handle said, “Out of an abundance of caution the U.S. Capitol complex was temporarily shutdown. There is no threat to the public.’’

The city’s fire department in its tweet post said that firefighters put out a fire outside near the Capitol complex.

Coronation ads

The fire department said, “There were no injuries. This accounts for smoke that many have seen.”

READ: Huawei accuses the United States of hacking

What you should know

  • President-elect, Joe Biden is expected to be sworn in at the US Capitol on Wednesday amid an unprecedented cordon of security, with strict physical distancing measures in place due to threats of violent attacks in Washington and the rising cases of coronavirus infections.
  • Donald Trump, who is just fresh from a historic second impeachment from the congress had said he would not attend, although his deputy, Vice President Mike Pence, had given an indication that he would attend.

Continue Reading

Stock Market

Champion Breweries gains 32.35% in a week, following Heineken’s indirect acquisition of its shares

The share price of Champion Breweries’ stocks since the resumption of the market last week increased by 32.35%.

Published

on

Champion Breweries Plc appoints new Managing Director 

Champion Breweries stocks have gained 32.35% since the open of trade last week Monday, as investors scamper for the shares of the company at the back of expected takeover by Heineken Brouwerijen B.V.

The share price of the company’s stocks on the NSE, from 11-18 January 2021, increased by 32.35%.

Read Also: U.S leading stocks suffer biggest daily plunge since October 28, 2020

This move is attributable to the recent rush for the shares of the company by investors, following a recent purchase of the shares of the mid-cap company by Heineken’s Special entity.

What you should know

  • Nairametrics reported that Raysun Nigeria Limited, a Special Purpose Entity (SPE) wholly-owned by Heineken Brouwerijen B.V., acquired 1,903,609,538 additional shares of the brewery company, worth N4.95 billion on 7 January 2021, at a price of N2.60 per share.
  • The acquisition took Heineken’s total stake in Champion Breweries to 6,633,043,538 or 84.72% (indirectly).

Read Also: MTN, SEPLAT, ARDOVA, rally Nigerian stocks up

Specta
  • According to data from the NSE, Champion Breweries shares cleared at N1.35 per share today on the floor of the exchange with 29,291 units worth N43,350.68 crossing hands in 4 deals.
  • At the current price of N1.35, the shares of the company have gained more than 56.98% since the open of trade this year, 4 January 2021. This is 95.65% higher than the shares’ 52 weeks low price of N0.69 per share.
  • The current share price of Champions Breweries is the highest in 52 weeks at N1.35 per share.

Continue Reading
Advertisement




Advertisement