A suspected hacker, Stephen Omaidu, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for allegedly hacking into the database of a bank, stealing N68bn.
- It was gathered that the suspect allegedly worked with four others– Alhaji K. B. Kabiru, Godswill Oyegwa, Ben and Oliver – to transfer the sum into different accounts.
- The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, told our correspondent that the four alleged accomplices escaped and had yet to be apprehended.
- The EFCC arraigned Omaidu before Justice M. A. Nasir of the Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Jabi, Abuja on two counts bordering on theft to the tune of N68bn.
- The commission said the offence was punishable under Section 287 of the Penal Code.
- Omaidu, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- The counsel for the EFCC, S. A. Ugwuebgulam, subsequently asked the court to fix a date for the trial to commence.
- N68billion looks rather high in our opinion