The Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation Kayode Opeifa made interesting revelations about the new metro taxi scheme the state government is looking to usher in. We scooped this from a newspaper report in The Nation and found the highlights of the scheme quite interesting. Here are some of them;
- Provisional licences given to Taxi and Cab drivers would soon become tradable because of the government’s backing and that they could also be used as collateral for bank loans.
- A government research showed that the taxi and cab industry is worth N25 billion and this can be pushed to N50 billion in the next five years.
- Vehicles that will be admitted to the scheme will be no more than 12 years old
- Road metering would begin next year.
- Black Stripes on the yellow cabs will be phased out, to be replaced with the state’s colours of: blue, yellow, green and red.
- Henceforth, the taxis and cabs would now be called Mega Taxis.