MTN Group released its 2014 full year results showing an 8% rise in earnings with help from its Nigerian operations. MTN Nigeria remains one of MTN’s major operations and is still the country with its most subscribers. As such, when they reveal their results we glean in to seek out the key highlights. Here are some important ones we compiled;
- MTN Nigeria that it paid N176 billion in taxes in 2014, while the total payments made to government from inception accrued to N1.3 trillion.
- They expended N30.5b on diesel in Nigeria
- MTN Nigeria grew its subscriber base by 5.5% in 2014, increasing total subscribers to 59.9 million.
- Data revenue continued to grow strongly, increasing by 28.3%* to contribute 18.6% of total revenue at year-end. This was mainly a result of the 18.1% increase in data users, increased smartphone penetration and the introduction of products such as the 4.5G smartphone data plan.
- The number of smartphones on the network increased by 51.2% to 9,3 million at the end of December.
- The EBITDA margin increased by 1.6 percentage points to 58.6% on a like-for-like basis (excluding the reversal of the management fee in 2013).