Trading activities on the floor of the exchange ended on a bearish note for the second consecutive week as the All-share index which is the benchmark index measuring the average performance of stocks, declined by 2.56% to close the week at 37,658.26 points.
This data is contained in the weekly market performance report of the NGX for the week ended 25th June 2021.
Also, the equities market capitalisation dipped from N20.14 trillion in the prior week to close at N19.63 trillion as of Friday, 25th June 2021, hereby resulting in a loss of N516 billion. Meanwhile, the year-to-date returns of the market stand at -6.49%.
Equity Market Performance
According to the report, 33 stocks appreciated in price during the week, lower than 38 stocks recorded in the previous week. Also, 37 stocks depreciated in price as against 25 stocks in the previous week, while 85 stocks maintained the same price as that of last week.
- The total share traded during the week increased by 2.5% to 1.006 billion units when compared to 981.147 million units of shares traded in the previous week. However, the value of traded shares declined by 0.5% from N10.384 billion to N10.330 billion in 17,165 deals.
- The financial services sector led the activity chart yet again with a total volume of 646.404 million shares valued at N5.199 billion traded in 8,996 deals. Trading activities in just the financial services industry accounted for 64.26% and 50.33% of total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- The Consumer goods sector followed with 108.59 million shares in trade volume worth N2.26 billion traded 3,213 deals. Conglomerates Industry, in third place with a turnover of 80.26 million shares valued at N179.13 million in 614 deals.
- Zenith Bank Plc, Transcorp Hotels Plc, and Access Bank Plc were the top traded equities by volume. They contributed 20.61% and 24.30% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- On Thursday, 24th June 2021 the entire 29,431,179,224 issued shares of GTB were delisted from the Daily Official List of the Nigerian Exchange Limited while GT Holdco’s entire issued share capital of 29,431,179,224 ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each were listed on the Daily Official List of NGX at N28.55 per share.
According to the report by the Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX) the delisting of GTB and listing of GT HoldCo on the exchange is pursuant to the scheme of arrangement between Guaranty Trust Bank Plc and the holders of its fully paid ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each as approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission and sanctioned by the Court.
News continues after this ad
Alongside the decline in the NSE ASI, other indices in the market followed a similar trend except for the following indices; NSE CG, NSE Banking, NSE Pension, NSE-AFR Bank Value, NSE AFR Div Yield, NSE MERI Growth, NSE Consumer Goods, NSE Oil/Gas, and NSE Sovereign Bond which appreciated by 0.37%, 0.92%, 0.02%, 1.40%, 1.71%, 0.75%, 0.57%, 0.12%, and 0.26% respectively. While the NSE Growth Index closed flat.
News continues after this ad
Exchange-Traded Products (ETPs)
This week trading activities in the ETP market improved slightly compared to that of last week as 101,876 units valued at N1.73 million were traded this week in 19 deals indicating a 0.45% and 7.57% increase in volume and value traded respectively on a week-on-week basis.
The 7 ETFs traded this week were: VETGRIF30, MERGROWTH, MERVALUE, STANBICETF30, VETINDETF, VETBANK, and VETGOODS.
FIXED INCOME MARKET
Trading at the fixed income market improved significantly this week with a total of 216,675 units of bonds valued at N215.72 million in 44 deals traded on the Exchange during the week ended 25th June 2021, compared with 26,452 units worth N27.236 million traded in 17 deals in the prior week.
The 6 bond instruments traded this week were: FGSUK2027S3, FG132036S2, FG112034S2, FG132026S1, FGS202162, and FGS202371.