Telecoms giant, MTN Nigeria Plc on Wednesday, July 15, 2020, broke another record as it became the first in this part of the world to launch its e-SIM services on its network
The e-sim which does not require sim card, but a virtual one with more security is to improve customer experience and maintain the highest quality of service for its customers.
The biggest network provider in Nigeria revealed during the virtual launching in Lagos followed approvals from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
The Chief Operating Officer, MTN Nigeria, Mazen Mroue, said that the company was really in a hurry to get through the trial process so that the technology could be deployed for the benefit of every Nigerian. He said that the evolution of e-SIMs (Subscriber Identity Modules cards) was designed to deliver unprecedented freedom and flexibility.
According to Mroue, ‘’Unlike the physical SIMs, e-SIMs are built into smartphones, devices and wearables. They support multiple profiles and allow customers to connect multiple numbers to their e-SIM devices.
“Notwithstanding the sophistication of e-SIMs, the onboarding requirements are the same, as are required for a physical SIM. Hence, SIM registration, in line with existing regulatory prescriptions, remains a requirement for activating a device embedded with an e-SIM,” he said.
The MTN chief also said that the e-sims were particularly useful for people who wanted to manage personal and business lines easily and effectively while noting that the new technology would also be extremely convenient for frequent travellers and tourists, making it easier for them to opt for and keep a local subscription when visiting Nigeria.
He revealed that the trial for the service would run for one year and on a first come first serve basis to a limited number of subscribers.
Going further, Mroue said MTN is at the forefront of e-SIM adoption in Nigeria as part of efforts to help drive the digital economy.
He then informed the subscribers that’s its easy and quick to set up an e-SIM profile with a new and existing mobile plan for those who own e-SIM compatible devices.
He advised the subscribers to visit an MTN service centre where frontline staff will help in registration and onboarding at no cost as e-SIM users will also be able to link multiple compatible devices and smart wearables such as tablets, smartwatches and others to their profile
BREAKING: Channels TV, LTV allegedly attacked, shut down
Channels Television and Lagos State Television (LTV) have been reportedly shut down.
Channels Television and Lagos State Television (LTV) have been reportedly shut down by unknown persons.
According to a staff of Channels TV, who prefered to remain unnamed, the Management moved them to a safe location within the premises, when hoodlums kept banging the gate in a frantic attempt to gain access to the premises.
As of the time of this report, the attempt has been unsuccessful.
In the case of LTV, operations were shut down after hoodlums attacked the station on Wednesday.
Members of staff of LTV said they have been asked to vacate the premises of the station, located at Alausa Lagos.
At present, the station has gone off the air.
An Editor in the station, who pleaded to be kept anonymous, disclosed that the station was attacked by hoodlums around 9 am today.
Details later …
#EndSARS: Access Bank debunks aiding military onslaught against Lekki protesters
Access Bank has dismissed rumours on social media suggesting it aided military onslaught against protesters.
Access Bank Nigeria Plc has vehemently debunked rumour making the rounds that it aided the military onslaught against peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki, by allowing military snippers access its head office tower for operations.
Backstory: Recall that Nairametrics had earlier reported on how soldiers allegedly fired gunshots to disperse #EndSARS protesters in Lekki yesterday.
In view of this development, there have been public outcries and ensuing allegations, one of which is that Access Bank Nigeria Plc aided the military onslaught.
What they are saying
In response to the allegations, the bank first reacted to the development by expressing condolence. A verified tweet by the bank read thus: “We are deeply saddened to hear about the unfortunate loss of innocent lives yesterday at the Lekki Toll. We pray that the souls of the innocent rest in peace”.
In addition, the bank stated: “We wish to address the statement by Arise TV alleging that Military Snipers were allowed access to our Head Office Tower for operations at the Lekki Toll Gate area. This is absolutely untrue. The video shared on Arise TV featured an employee of the bank conducting routine maintenance at the Tower location. It is unfortunate that this was reported as a sniper without any proof. As a corporate citizen with the purpose of impacting lives positively, we will never endanger the lives of Nigerians.”
We wish to address the statement by Arise TV alleging that Military Snipers were allowed access to our Head Office Tower for operations at the Lekki Toll Gate area. This is absolutely untrue.
— Access Bank Plc (@myaccessbank) October 21, 2020
Just in: UK High Commission shuts down visa centres in Nigeria due to #EndSARS protests
The UK High Commission in Nigeria has announced the shutdown of its VISA application centers in Nigeria.
The United Kingdom High Commission in Nigeria on Wednesday, October 21, 2020, announced the shutdown of its VISA application centers in Nigeria for the next 48 hours, with effect from today (Wednesday), due to the ongoing #EndSARS protests in the country.
This comes barely a day after the US shut down its Lagos consulate, following the outbreak of violence from the #EndSARS protests in major parts of the country including Lagos State and the FCT.
The disclosure was contained in a statement issued by the UK High Commission in Nigeria on Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
The High Commission in a brief statement, also asked applicants with appointments for Wednesday and Thursday, to reschedule their appointments from Monday, October 26th.
“Due to the ongoing protest in Nigeria and for the safety of both staff and applicants, our Nigeria centres will be closed for 48 hours at a minimum. For applicants with booked appointments within this period, please you will need to reschedule your appointment for next week, from 26th October 2020.
“We will continue to post regular updates on this page, so please keep checking back for the latest information on reopening. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.”
Update on UK Visa Application Centres:
Our TLS contact Visa Application Centres in Nigeria are currently closed.
For further updates on the closures please visit:
Victoria Island: https://t.co/B17AtE4kqv
— UK in Nigeria🇬🇧 (@UKinNigeria) October 21, 2020