Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) enjoyed a bullish start in January 2020, as the all-share index closed at 28,843.53 index points, 7.46% increase compared to 26,842.07 recorded on 31st December 2019.
The top ten stockbroking firms traded on stocks worth N138.1 billion, accounting for 58.8% of the total value of shares traded in the month. This is according to the Broker Performance Report for the month ended 31st January 2020.
Also, the report showed that the top ten stockbrokers on the stock exchange accounted for 49.15% of the total unit of shares transacted in the month, trading 8.29 billion units.
Stockbrokers by value
- Stanbic IBTC is top on the list with trades worth N35.76 billion representing 15.24% of the total value.
- EFG Hermes Nigeria Limited followed with transactions worth N20.76 billion. 8.82% of the total value of transactions.
- Rencap Securities traded in stocks worth N18.49 billion, accounting for 7.88% of the total value.
- Chapel Hill made transactions worth N12.54 billion (5.34%) to rank fourth on the list.
- CSL Stockbrokers Limited transacted in stocks valued at N11.82 billion.
- While other stockbrokers like Cardinalstone Securities, Tellimer Capital, Imperial Asset Managers, Meristem Stockbrokers and Coronation Securities (in the order listed above), pulled transactions valued at N9.43 billion, N8.12 billion, N7.76 billion, N7.06 billion and N6.41 billion.
Stockbrokers by volume of shares
- Mainstreet Bank Securities topped the list with 1.41 billion units of shares, representing 8.38% of the total volume of shares sold during the month.
- Cardinalstone Securities came second with 1.04 billion units of shares representing 6.16%.
- Coronation Securities followed with 851.95 million units of shares which accounted for 5.05% of the total.
- CSL Stockbrokers ranked fourth with transactions in 794.49 million units of shares. 4.71% of the total unit of shares traded in January.
- Morgan Capital Securities pulled transactions in 792.33 million units of shares to rank fifth.
- EFG Hermes; Chapel Hill Denham; Edgefield Capital Management; Rencap Securities and Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers. They all transacted in 763.48 million shares, 751.73 million shares, 716.41 million shares, 613.55 million shares and 559.32 million shares respectively.