More notable Nigerians have continued to react strongly against the xenophobia in South Africa, as well as the reprisal attacks against MTN and Shoprite in Nigeria. Tweeting earlier this morning, the former Chairman of Forte Oil Plc, Femi Otedola, said he was upset after watching innocent lives senselessly murdered in South Africa. Apart from condemning the “hateful discrimination and xenophobia”, the businessman also prayed for those who have lost loved ones in the attacks.
My heart cries for my Nigerian brothers and sisters who have been senselessly killed in South Africa. I strongly condemn this hateful discrimination and xenophobia. I pray for us to come together as a continent to fight this injustice …F.Ote💲
— Femi Ote$ (@realFemiOtedola) September 4, 2019
Also reacting to the development is the Co-founder of Flutterwave, Iyinoluwa Aboyeji. According to him, the xenophobic attacks in South Africa justifies his earlier opinion that “there is literally no upside to doing business in Africa as an African.” He further argued that until Africans stop hating each other, progress on the continent would be impossible.
The Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, Herbert Wigwe, was brief yet succinct in his reaction. According to him, Africans should learn to love, tolerate, and co-habit peaceably with one another. That’s the only way Africa’s developmental goals can be actualised, he said.
We are no different from one another. Nigeria and Nigerians showed great example in the past by uniting with the rest of the continent during difficult times. We must learn to love, embrace and live together in harmony to achieve our goals. ~ HW
— Herbert Wigwe, FCA (@HerbertOWigwe) September 3, 2019
Meanwhile, following reports that Nigerians have begun to retaliate by attacking South-African owned businesses in Nigeria, some notable personalities also spoke out in condemnation. Tayo Oviosu, the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Paga, retweeted a video of a lady recounting her scary experience after she was caught up in the middle of one of the attacks at Shoprite, Sangotedo in Lagos.
Experienced this while going to work this morning, looters are still flocking Sangotedo Mall and Soldiers are not having it!!! They’re shooting non stop, bullets flying everywhere, a young man held a large stone to smash my windshield, he said “our people are dying, una dey work. pic.twitter.com/8s683ZmCoR
— lagosfoodseries😋 (@mehreet_) September 4, 2019
Also, the Founder of Beni American University, Gossy Ukanwoke, retweeted a series of tweets about people either condemning the reprisal attacks in Lagos, or those counting their losses following the looting at Shoprite. One of the retweeted posts was made by a lady identified as Lily Loveth. She complained about how her shop in Shoprite Sangotedo was looted with goods valued at millions of naira carted away by hoodlums.
This is what saddens me, that our security architecture could not predict and plan for this reaction from hoodlums, who seek the slightest excuse to rob honest businesses. We should have planned for better protection of obvious targets. https://t.co/ttT9TPopgT
— Akin Oyebode (@AO1379) September 4, 2019
In the meantime, the political and economic relationship between Nigeria and South Africa remains tense. This is despite the fact that both presidents of the two countries have condemned the attacks. Earlier today, Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema, addressed a press conference during which he said that Nigeria would be seeking compensation from South Africa over the Nigerian businesses in South Africa that were affected during the upheaval.
Lagos Ferry Company targets 480,000 commuting passengers daily – MD
The administration is seeking ways to decongest the heavy Lagos traffic and using inland water transport.
The Managing Director of the Lagos Ferry Services Company (LAGFERRY) Mr AbdoulBaq Balogun says the company has a target of transporting 480,000 people daily on the waterways of Lagos State.
He made the comment in an online show called ”Covinspiration”.
He said, “As at June 30, we had operated for 77 days on inland waterways and moved 60,000 passengers”. Revealing that the company had 14 boats and was making efforts to expand operations with bigger ferries with the involvement of private investors.
Adding that the administration is seeking ways to decongest the heavy Lagos traffic and tapping into the potential of inland water transport.
“With about 1.6 million people moving on Lagos roads every day, we are being tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that we move at least 30 percent of these motorists off the roads through the waterways.
“That gives us about 480,000 passengers. So, moving 480,000 passengers is our daily target on the waterways of Lagos State.
“Mr Governor is focusing his energy on ensuring a multi-modal transport system with the abundance of water bodies we have. We are moving people and goods on pleasant experience through the inland waterways,” he said.
He said the company operates in all the 40 inland waterway routes, and expanded operations will decongest traffic from in the on Lekki Epe Expressway, Ikorodu road, the Third Mainland Bridge and Lagos-Badagry Expressway
The managing director said that traffic congestion on Lekki Epe Expressway, Ikorodu road, the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos-Badagry Expressway would be minimized with LAGFERRY operations in those six routes.
“We are just coming on board, we are still testing the water, passengers are just coming to know us and we are still creating awareness.
“We have not reached our peak and we are yet to get to the optimum operational level. We want to expand the services of LAGFERRY to other routes and enhance productivity,” he said.
Just in: Buhari suspends EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu from office
The suspension follows the investigation of allegations of gross misconduct against him on Monday.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the suspension of the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, from office. The suspension follows the investigation of allegations of gross misconduct against him on Monday.
According to available information, Magu was suspended to allow for probe into allegations against him.
The EFCC boss appeared before a presidential probe panel headed by retired Justice Ayo Salami, who is investigating the allegations against him.
Reps to investigate alleged illegal withdrawal of $1.05 billion from NLNG account
Gbajabiamila mandated the House to conduct a thorough investigation on activities of the dividends account.
The House of Representatives has concluded plans to investigate the alleged illegal withdrawal of $1.05 billion from Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) account by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) without its knowledge and appropriation.
The decision by the lower chamber is on the heels of a unanimous adoption of a motion by the Minority Leader of the House, Ndudi Elumelu, during plenary session on Tuesday, July 7, 2020.
Going down memory lane, Elumelu recalled that the NLNG was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1989 with the aim of producing liquefied natural gas and natural gas liquids for export purposes which began in 1999.
He pointed out that the NLNG is jointly owned by the Federal Government, represented by the NNPC with a shareholding of 49% and Shell Gas with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15% and ENI International with 10.4%.
The Minority leader said, “The dividends from the NLNG are supposed to be paid into the Consolidated Revenue Funds Account of the Federal Government and to be shared among the three tiers of government.’’
Going further in his motion, Elumelu said, “The NNPC who represents the government of Nigeria on the board of the NLNG had unilaterally without the required consultations with states and the mandatory appropriation from the National Assembly illegally tampered with the funds at the NLNG dividends account to the tune of 1.05 billion dollars thereby violating the nation’s appropriation law.
“There was no transparency in this extra-budgetary spending as only the Group Managing Director and the corporation’s Chief Financial Officer had the knowledge of how the 1.05 billion dollars was spent.’’
‘’There are no records showing the audit and recovery of accrued funds from the NLNG by the Office of the Auditor General of the Federation. Hence the need for a thorough investigation of the activities on the NLNG dividends account.”
In his ruling, the Speaker of the House, Femi Gbajabiamila, mandated the House Committee on Public Account to conduct a thorough investigation on activities that had taken place on the dividends account.
Gbajabiamila mandated the committee to invite the management of the NNPC as well as that of the NLNG in the process and report back to the house in four weeks.