The Nigerian Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has just released its report on the States with the highest fares in Nigeria for the month of June 2019. According to the report, air passengers who travelled from Jigawa, Kwara and Rivers paid the highest airfare for specified routes single journey in the month.
Specifically, the States with the highest airfare in the month were Jigawa (N35,000.00), Kwara (N35,000.00) and Rivers (N35,000.00), while passengers travelling from Katsina (N24,500.00), Oyo (N25,000.00), and Sokoto (N25,000.00) States paid the lowest airfare.
Also, the average fare paid by air passengers for specified routes single journey increased from N30,321.90 in May, to N30,464.86 in June 2019.
Bus fares within the States: According to the NBS report, the average fare paid by commuters for a bus journey within the city increased by 0.26% month-on-month and by 8.26% year-on-year to N182.84 in June 2019 from N182.37 in May 2019.
- States with the highest bus journey fare within the city were Zamfara (N310.00), Cross Rivers (N300.00) and Abuja FCT (N272.00).
- States with the lowest bus journey fare within the city were Anambra (N135.15), Sokoto (N131.00) and Bauchi (N96.15).
Intercity bus fares: The NBS revealed that the average fare paid by commuters for a bus journey intercity increased by 0.17% month-on-month and decreased by -7.06% year-on-year to N1,606.92 in June 2019 from N1,604.22 in May 2019.
- Also, the States with the highest bus journey fare intercity were Abuja FCT (N4,155.00), Adamawa (N2,500.00) and Borno (N2,500.00).
- However, Enugu (N950.00), Bauchi (N970.10) and Bayelsa (N990.00) States recorded the lowest bus journey fare within the city.
Motorcycle per drop: For the month, the average fare paid by commuters for journey by motorcycle per drop decreased by -0.36% within the month to N117.00 in June 2019 from N117.43 in the previous month.
- The States with the highest journey fare by motorcycle per drop were Rivers (N195.00), Ondo (N190.00) and Ebonyi (N180.00).
- On the other hand, the States with the lowest journey fare by motorcycle per drop were Katsina (N58.00), Jigawa (N58.00) and Adamawa (N52.00).
Water transport: Moving in, the NBS report shows that the average fare paid by passengers for waterway passenger transport decreased by -2.59% month-on-month to N505.18 in June 2019 from N518.64 in May 2019.
- Among the States, Bayelsa (N1,800.00), Rivers (N1,750.00) and Cross River (N960.00) recorded the highest fare by waterway passenger transport.
- States with the lowest fare by waterway passenger transport were Delta (N180.00), Borno (N180.00) and Gombe (N120.00).