Connect with us
deals book
Advertisement
Polaris bank
Advertisement
Oando
Advertisement
Alpha
Advertisement
Hotflex
Advertisement
Binance
Advertisement
Advertisement
UBA
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
Access bank
Advertisement
app

Business News

Why telcos are very worried by this NCC directive

The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) recently instructed IHS Towers Nigeria and ATC Nigeria to disconnect any indebted telecommunication companies from their facilities.

Published

on

Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC set to probe telcos over N165 debt , NCC moves to track cybercriminals , Will there ever be a day the NCC withdraws a Nigerian telco’s license? , Brief comparison of telcos’ annual revenue reveals interesting disparities , Beware of fraudulent free internet bundle website, NCC warns Nigerians

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) recently instructed IHS Towers Nigeria and ATC Nigeria to disconnect any indebted telecommunication companies from their facilities.

Following this development, many of the telcos are said to be worried that the NCC’s directive could portend negative effects on their businesses. Specifically speaking, the telcos are afraid that they may lose their subscribers as well as huge revenue if they are eventually disconnected from the IHS and ATC Nigeria facilities.

Why the NCC approved the disconnections 

Apparently, some of the telecom operators are owing IHS Towers and ATC Nigeria. And the NCC believes that telcos have no excuse to owe facility operators, hence the approval to disconnect any telco that is indebted.

Meanwhile, the telco’s indebtedness to facility operators has mostly been blamed on the 2016 devaluation of the naira, according to unnamed sources at IHS, ATC and the NCC.

According to them, the devaluation of the naira by as much as 40% automatically resulted in an increase in tower lease rental. And this is because the tower lease contracts were initially dollar-denominated instead of naira-denominated.

Bearing this in mind, therefore, the concerned stakeholders spoke on the need for future agreements between telcos and the facility operators to be signed in naira term as against the dollar. This, for them, is important as it would facilitate better cooperation and ultimately ensure success in the sector.

Meanwhile, telecoms subscribers will not be affected

Following the expression of fear by telcos that the development could potentially hurt their subscribers, the NCC has spoken out to allay the fears, stressing that its earlier directive to IHS and ATC had been misconstrued.

Speaking recently in Abuja, the NCC’s Executive Commissioner of Stakeholder Management, Mr Sunday Dare, said the disconnection will not affect any telecom subscribers. Instead, services would be restricted to some indebted telcos, he said.

“over the years, the industry has been plagued with the very serious problem of interconnect and facility indebtedness. Some operators have racked up huge debts to others and have simply refused to pay.

“Having done everything we could, including holding many meetings with the parties and brokering several payments plans to no avail, NCC has little choice in the matter but to grant the persistent requests of the creditor organisations to disconnect the chronic debtors in accordance with the Nigerian Communications Act and our Disconnection Regulations.” – Dare

He also stressed that it is the core objective of the NCC to protect the interests of telecom subscribers and will continue to do so.

Emmanuel is a professional writer and business journalist, with interests covering Banking & Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Profiles, Brand Communication, Fintech, and MSMEs.He initially joined Nairametrics as an all-round Business Analyst, but later began focusing on and covering the financial services sector. He has also held various leadership roles, including Senior Editor, QAQC Lead, and Deputy Managing Editor.Emmanuel holds an M.Sc in International Relations from the University of Ibadan, graduating with Distinction. He also graduated with a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) from the Department of Philosophy & Logic, University of Ibadan.If you have a scoop for him, you may contact him via his email- [email protected] You may also contact him through various social media platforms, preferably LinkedIn and Twitter.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Hospitality & Travel

FG discusses nation’s carrier, Nigeria Air with US Ambassador

The FG has held a discussion with the US government over the establishment of a national carrier for Nigeria.

Published

on

Just in: FG bars Air France, KLM and other foreign airlines, FG to spend N13 billion for automation projects in 4 airports, domestic flights, international passengers, Coronavirus: FG enforces immediate screening of travellers at airports with new directive

The federal government has held a discussion with the government of the United States of America over the establishment of a national carrier for Nigeria.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika via his Twitter handle after he held a discussion with the Ambassador at the United States Embassy in Abuja.

He tweeted, “We took the opportunity to discuss investments and opportunities in the aviation sector, including national carrier. The partnership looks promising. USA is the only country we have open skies with. Thanks, Ambassador Mary and the team.”

What you should know

In July 2018, the Federal Government unveiled the branding and livery for the new airline, Nigeria Air, and stated that the carrier would be inaugurated at the end of that year.

Sirika unveiled the carrier at a press conference during the Farnborough Air Show in London that year.

“I am very pleased to tell you that we are finally on track to launching a new national flag carrier for our country, Nigeria Air. We are all fully committed to fulfilling the campaign promise made by our President, Muhammadu Buhari, in 2015. We are aiming to launch Nigeria Air by the end of this year,” the minister had said.

He also stated that the government had obtained the Certificate of Compliance from the Nigerian Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission and would go into investor search.

Hotflex
Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

SERAP asks Buhari to probe N39.5 billion duplicated, mysterious projects

SERAP has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to probe the reported N39.5 billion duplicated and mysterious projects inserted in the 2021 budget.

Published

on

See what FSDH is saying about the 2020 budget and FG’s revenue drive , 2020 budget

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to probe the reported N39.5 billion duplicated and mysterious projects inserted in the 2021 budget.

This is to know if public funds have been diverted in the guise of implementing the projects and prosecute those allegedly involved including those from the executive and the National Assembly.

The request from SERAP follows a report from BudgiT last week, where they alleged that there are 316 duplicated capital projects worth N139.5 billion in the 2021 budget.

This disclosure is contained in a public statement issued by SERAP on Sunday, May 9, 2021, and can be seen on its website.

SERAP said that the investigation of the alleged duplicated and mysterious projects, which are part of the 2021 appropriation bill of N13.588 trillion, should establish whether public funds have been mismanaged, diverted or stolen in the guise of implementing these projects.

What SERAP is saying in its letter

In the letter dated 8th May 2021 and signed by SERAP, Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare said: “The misallocation of public funds for duplicated and mysterious projects has seriously undermined the ability of the indicted MDAs, and the government to ensure respect for Nigerians’ human rights through developing and implementing well-thought-out policies, plans, and budgets.”

The letter from SERAP partly reads, “BudgIT had in a report last week stated that there are 316 duplicated capital projects worth N39.5 billion in the 2021 budget. The duplicated and mysterious projects are contained in the 2021 appropriation bill of N13.588 trillion signed into law in December 2020.”

These damning revelations suggest a grave violation of the public trust, and Nigerians’ rights to education, health, water, sanitation, and clean and satisfactory environment because the indicted MDAs have misallocated public funds at the expense of the people’s access to basic public services, and enjoyment of rights.”

Hotflex

SERAP urges you to ask the heads of the MDAs involved to explain why they allegedly failed to ensure strict compliance with constitutional and international standards of transparency and accountability in the preparation, processes and decisions on their budgets, and to return any misallocated public funds to the public treasury.”

Investigating and prosecuting any allegations of mismanagement, diversion and stealing of public funds budgeted for the 316 duplicated and mysterious projects would allow your government to use the budget to effectively promote Nigerians’ access to essential public goods and services.

Publishing the ‘implementation status’ of the duplicated and mysterious projects would allow Nigerians to hold their government to account in the spending of public funds. This is particularly true for marginalized and excluded groups, such as people living in poverty, women, children, and persons with disabilities, as the budget has a disproportionate impact on their welfare.”

We would be grateful if the recommended measures are taken within 14 days of the receipt and/or publication of this letter. If we have not heard from you by then, the Incorporated Trustees of SERAP shall take all appropriate legal actions to compel your government to comply with our request in the public interest.” 

SERAP also urges you to direct Mrs Zainab Ahmed, Minister of Finance Budget and National Planning to publish full details of current ‘implementation status’ of the duplicated and mysterious projects, and any spending on the projects to date, including the 115 projects inserted in the budget of the Ministry of Health; the 23 projects inserted in the budget of the Ministry of Education, and 10 projects inserted in the budget of the Ministry of Water Resources.

The following ministries are reportedly involved in the duplicated and mysterious projects: Ministry of Health with 115 projects; Ministry of Information and Culture with 40 projects; Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development with 25 projects; Ministry of Education with 23 projects; Ministry of Transportation with 17 projects; and Ministry of Science and Technology with 17 projects.”

Others are the Ministry of Environment with 13 projects; Ministry of Power with 11 projects; Ministry of Labour and Employment with 11 projects, and Ministry of Water Resources with 10 projects.”

Jaiz bank

The letter was copied to Mr Malami; Professor Bolaji Owasanoye, Chairman Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC); Mr Abdulrasheed Bawa, Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC); and Mrs Ahmed, the Finance Minister.

Continue Reading

  





Nairametrics | Company Earnings

Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.