- The new finance minister is an academic
Van Rooyen holds a number of qualifications, his most significant being an advanced Business Management Diploma and a Diploma in Municipal Governance.
- He has been honoured in financial academics overseas
The University of London conferred an MSc Finance (Economic Policy) to Van Rooyen on July 30, 2014. He recently acquired a certificate in investment analysis and portfolio management from UNISA.
- He has an anti-apartheid struggle history
“Van Rooyen began his career in politics in the mid-1980s as an MK operative and soldier. He held positions in the Congress of South African Students and in the Khutsong Student Congress, served as a United Democratic Front representative and was a member of the National Union of Mineworkers.”
- He was a leader during our democratic transition
Van Rooyen held a number of leadership positions from 1994 to 2009.
- His hobbies include hunting
Among his favourite pastimes are soccer, golf, tennis, reading and hunting.
- He is from South Africa