- Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said that Nigeria will conclude outstanding trade and economic cooperation agreements with Belarus and as well as pursue other areas of diplomatic relations between both countries.
- He disclosed thisThursday when he received the Ambassador of Belarus to Nigeria, Mr. Vyacheslav Bekesty and his delegation in his office at the Presidential Villa, Abuja
- Osinbajo while responding to Mr Bekesty’s request for enhanced trade relations with Nigeria, expressed Nigeria’s appreciation to Belarus.
He said: “on behalf of the President and the people of Nigeria, for the very active cooperation of your country in the fight against Boko Haram and the whole moral struggle against extremism and terrorism.”
- The Vice President informed the Ambassador that the Federal Government recognized the contributions of Belarus to Nigeria’s development, especially in the area of training of Nigerian troops and the education of Nigerian students, many of who attend tertiary institutions in the eastern European nation.
- The Vice President restated the determination of the Buhari administration to protect Nigeria’s local industries, emphasizing that “Nigeria hopes to become a country that provides for some of its own needs.”
- Earlier, the Belarus Ambassador told the Vice President that his country holds Nigeria in high esteem, which informed the expansion of its Mission in Nigeria.