- It was learnt that some major customers approached the bank to re-negotiate their loans when it dawned on them that the lender was going to make good its threat to publish the list.
- The list, which initially had 119 names, was recalled at the last-minute for a review that later reduced the names to 56.
- The name and shame campaign of delinquent debtors, which Deposit Money Banks in the country commenced on Monday continued on Wednesday with the United Bank of Africa Plc releasing the names of its customers with non-performing loans.
- A firm, Highland Marketing Limited, in which a former Minister of Power and Steel, Mr. Bashir Dalhatu, and two others were listed as directors, owes UBA N459.28m.
- Food Concepts Plc, owners of the Chicken Republic brand, topped the UBA debtors’ list with N1.7bn .
- The directors listed for Food Concepts are Chief Dele Fajemirokun, Mr. Deji Akinyanju, Mr. Idris Mohammed, Mr. Mark Hilton, Bashorun Odunaya Olagundoye, Alhaji Tunde Yusuf, Doyin Akinyanju and Mr. Paul Farrer.
- Among the first six on the debtors’ list were Meno Oil and Gas Limited, European Soaps and Detergent Limited, Rockbridge Energy Limited and Combase Energy Limited respectively.
- It was observed that UBA list had a significant number of players from the oil and gas sector with hundreds of millions of naira in non-performing loans.