The Nation||The bank’s deputy governors, The Nation learnt, are not happy with their boss’ handling of the matter.
Sources said they feel Sanusi was unguarded, inconsistent and uncoordinated in his utterances about the alleged missing fund.
Sanusi initially put the alleged missing cash at $49.8 billion. Following a reconciliation meeting with the Ministry of Finance, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Budget Office, among others, the amount became $12 billion and $10.8 billion.
The Finance ministry and others said the figure was $10.8 billion; Sanusi put it at $12 billion.
When he appeared before the Senate Committee on Finance last week, he put the figure at $20 billion, and also accused NNPC of paying kerosene subsidy to marketers in defiance of a presidential directive.
The deputy governors, the source said, are angry that their boss did not carry them along before making what they call these “weighty allegations” in public.
The source said: “The deputy governors are angry that their boss did not discuss with them what he presented at the Senate probe on the alleged missing oil revenue.”
The deputy governor are also said not to be privy to the letter Sanusi wrote to President Goodluck Jonathan on the alleged missing $49 billion oil revenue.
The source said: “The inconsistencies in Sanusi’s statement were embarrassing to the deputy governors. He wrote the President that $49 billion oil revenue was missing, told the Finance Minister after a reconciliation meeting that the figure was $12 billion, now he is claiming it is $20 billion.”
At a meeting at the bank’s headquarters in Abuja, the deputy governors were said to have told that he should have learnt from the September 11, 2011 seminar, organised for the CBN Governor and his deputies by the NNPC management on understanding oil revenues.
They said if the governor had learnt from the seminar he would have spoken “insightfully” on oil revenues.
Former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Services Senator Emmanuel Anosike has accused Sanusi of being on a mission to unsettle the administration of President Jonathan.
Anosike said: “Sanusi has left Nigerians more confused with his allegations and he is attacking a government he is part of.”
CBN Director of Communication Ugochukwu Okoroafor did not reply a text sent to him on the matter, at press time.