A former Managing Director, Dangote Cement, Engineer Joseph Makoju, is dead.
This was confirmed by a source close to the family.
The former Adviser to President Olusegun Obasanjo, Makoju, died at a private hospital in Abuja on Monday.
What you should know about Makoju
- The late Makoju was born on on July 13, 1948, in Okene, Kogi state.
- He attended the Federal Government College, Warri, Delta State and later went on to study mechanical engineering at the University of Nottingham, UK, where he graduated with a first-class honour in 1972.
- He also bagged a master of philosophy in mechanical engineering in 1974 from the same university.
- He attended National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies NIPSS, Kuru, Jos, from 1989 to 1990 and also holds an honorary doctor of science degree in engineering from the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi.
- Makoju served as a special adviser on electric power to former Presidents Goodluck Jonathan and Olusegun Obasanjo.
- He was also the honorary adviser to the president/chief executive, Dangote Group, and was a one-time chairman, Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria.
- Makoju retired as the GMD/CEO of Dangote Cement in 2020, a position he had held since April 2018.
- He was the pioneer chairman of the Board of the West African Power Pool and a former managing director of the National Electric Power Authority (Power Holding Company of Nigeria).
- He was awarded the Officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (OFR) and Grand Commander of the Special Order of Merit (GCSO), Niger Republic.