The top-performing stockbroking firms on the Nigerian Exchange-traded stocks valued at N1.01 trillion in the year 2021, a list led by Stanbic IBTC, Cardinalstone, and Rencap securities. The Nigerian stock market recorded a 6.07% gain in the review year.
This is according to the broker performance report, released by the Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX). The value of stocks (N1.01 trillion) traded by the top performers in 2021, represents a 13.73% decline compared to N1.17 trillion recorded in the previous year.
Similarly, the volume of shares traded in the review period was 76.27 billion units of shares, which is 19.32% lower than 94.53 billion units traded in 2020.
Meanwhile, the All-Share Index of the NGX opened the year 2021 at 40,270.7 and closed with 42,716.4 points at the close of trading on December 31st, 2021, representing a 6.07% gain Year to Date.
According to the report, Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers led the list by value of shares traded with N211.93 billion, while Cardinalstone Securities led the elite list in terms of volume with 15.23 billion for the year.
Top stockbrokers by value
The top 10 performing stockbroking firms in 2021 traded a total of N1.01 trillion worth of shares, accounting for 52.92% of the total value of shares traded in the year.
- Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers Limited led the list, having traded in stocks worth N211.93 billion. This represents 11.11% of the entire value of shares traded on the floor of the exchange in 2021.
- Cardinalstone Securities Limited with a total value of N143.6 billion worth of shares traded in 2021, stands in second position, accounting for 7.53% of the total shares traded at the exchange.
- Rencap Securities Limited traded stocks worth N107.02 billion and accounted for 5.61% of the total value of shares traded in 2021.
- EFG Hermes Limited accounted for 5.51% of the value of shares recorded in the period with N105.14 billion worth of shares traded.
- Meristem Stockbrokers Limited traded in stocks worth N89.46 billion in 2021, accounting for 4.69% of the total value of stocks traded in the year.
- Others on the list include, Investment One Stockbrokers with N84.14 billion (4.41%), APT Securities and Fund with N73.32 billion (3.84%), FBN Quest Securities with N71.55 billion (3.75%), Apel Asset Limited traded in shares valued at N68.95 billion (3.51%), while Cordros Securities Limited completed the list with trades in stocks worth N54.51 billion, which accounted for 2.86% of the total value recorded in the year.
Top stockbrokers by volume
The top performing stockbrokers by volume, traded in 76.27 billion units of shares in 2021, representing 43.77% of the total shares traded in the stock market in the review period.
- Cardinalstone Securities tops the list with 15.23 billion units of shares, which represents 8.74% of the total volume traded in the period under review.
- Second on the list is Morgan Capital Securities with trades in 12.19 billion units of share, accounting for 6.99% of the total shares traded in the stock market in 2021.
- Meristem Stockbrokers Limited followed closely with 10 billion units of shares traded, representing 5.74% of the total volume recorded.
- Apt Securities Limited traded in 8.76 billion units of shares, to stand in fourth position and accounted for 5.03% of the total volume.
- Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers accounted for 4.3% of the total volume having traded a total of 7.49 billion units of shares to stand in fifth position.
- Others on the list include FBN Quest (5.53 billion), Apel Asset (4.88 billion), Atlass Portfolios Limited (4.56 billion), GTI Securities (3.89 billion), and EFG Hermes (3.72 billion).