The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 19 new covid-19 related deaths across the country on 30th September 2021, taking the total deaths recorded in September to 253, and a total death toll from inception-to-date to 2,721.
This is according to daily data tracked by Nairametrics Research from the website of the NCDC.
Also, a total of 8,638 new cases was registered by the agency in the month of September. The number of cases recorded in the review month represents a 53.4% reduction compared to 18,523 recorded in the previous month (August 2021). It is however, 39.5% higher than 6,190 recorded in July 2021.
The number of deaths recorded in the month is 20.9% lower than 320 recorded in the previous month, while it jumped by 772.4% compared to 29 recorded in the month of July 2021.
- A total of 14,631 patients were discharged in the review period, 6.5% higher than 13,744 patients recorded in the previous month.
- The number of active cases as of the time of writing this article stood at 9,427, which is lower than 11,203 admitted patients as of the beginning of the month.
- Nigeria has recorded 111,589 new cases of the pandemic year-to-date, and 1,430 deaths in the same period.
- It is worth noting that a total of 3.04 million tests have been carried out in Nigeria from inception to date.
- Nigeria ranks 9th in Africa, for countries with highest number of cases, behind the likes of Zambia (209,046), Kenya (249,434), and Egypt (304,524), while South Africa stands in top with 2.9 million cases.
In terms of states with highest cases to date, Lagos State tops the list with 76,734 cases followed by the federal capital territory with 21,999, River State (12,160), Kaduna (9,646), and Plateau State with 9,401.
In the same vein, Lagos State has also recorded the highest number of deaths with 664, solely accounting for 24% of the total covid-related deaths recorded in the country.
Why this matters
It is pertinent to track the covid-19 disease in the country, as it has become a very popular and important factor, which also informs policy and investment decisions locally and internationally.