Tax Collectors – FIRS Generates N1.97Trln In H1
- The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) says it generated N1.97 trillion in revenue in the first half of this year.
- Its Acting Executive Chairman, Mr Sunday Ogungbesan, made the disclosure in Lagos at the weekend.
- He said that the figure represented 98 per cent of the targeted revenue of N2.28 trillion between January and June 2015.
- Ogungbesan said the Federal Government gave FIRS a revenue target of N4.57 trillion for the whole of 2015.
- He said that Nigeria had the potential to generate more tax revenue if there was a better tax administration system in the country.
- The FIRS boss said that his agency was just one of the 37 tax authorities in the country.
- He said the FIRS were administering tax at the federal level, while each state administered its own.
- Ogungbesan called for more collaboration among all the tax authorities in the country.
- He said that while the FIRS had 6,900 workers across the country, tax authorities in the states could also strengthen their workforce instead of depending on consultants.