The demise of Pioneer Director-General of the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE), Hayford Alile came like an illusion of parallel lines converging on a horizon. Alile may have been announced dead, but his conscious memories will live forever in the hearts of many.
Although, Alile’s family is yet to officially announce his death. It was gathered that the Spiritual Leader of St. Joseph Chosen Church of God (SJCCG) International died on Monday, October 1, 2018, at his Lagos residence, at the age of 80, after a brief illness.
A sneak peek into the life of Hayford Alile
- Hayford Ikponmwonsa Alile, OFR, B.A., MBA (Hon), D.Sc, was a Council Member at Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).
- Alile served as Director General and Chief Executive Officer of The Exchange in 1979. He served as Investment Adviser and Broker at Investors Diversified Services Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, from 1972 to 1973.
- He returned to Nigeria in 1973 and served as Head of Management Consulting Department at Centre for Management Development.
- Alile began his career as an Economic and Financial Consultant to Louis Berger Inc., East Orange, New Jersey in 1968.
- Alile was Chairman of Oceanic Bank International Plc from January 22, 2007.
- He served as the Chairman of the Board at UTC Nigeria Plc.
- Alile served as the Chairman of the Board at Afrinvest (West Africa) Limited.
- Alile served as chairman and Director of Unilever Nigeria Plc until May 10, 2011.
- He served as a Director at Industrial And General Insurance Company Limited and Nigerian Security Printing & Minting Company.
- He served as a Director at the Central Bank Nigeria from 1999 to 2005.
- From 1969 to 1972, he served as Assistant Director of Rutgers University Entrepreneurial Development Centre, New Jersey, and Rutgers Minority Investment Co Inc.
- He was for 12 years a Trustee and Treasurer of the Nigeria Olympic Committee.
- Alile served as President of the Harvard Business School Association of Nigeria. He was a recipient of the Nigeria National Honours awards of the Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR) and National Productivity Order of Merit (NPOM).
- He was a Fellow of several professional bodies including the Nigeria Institute of Management (NIM), Institute of Directors (IOD) and Chartered Institute of Secretaries and Company Administrators.
Condolences pour in for late Alile
President Muhammadu Buhari has mourned the Spiritual Leader of St. Joseph’s Chosen Church of God International. President Buhari, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, commiserated with family, friends and close associates of the deceased who was the pioneer Director-General of the NSE and served variously on the board of the Central Bank of Nigeria and other blue-chip companies.
Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, also condoled with the family of the late Apostle Hayford Alile. In a condolence message issued by the governor in Benin City, Obaseki said he was deeply saddened by the news of the passing of the former director-general of the NSE.