The Manufacturing Association of Nigeria (MAN) is currently holding its 44th Annual General Meeting in Abuja and President Buhari gave a speech at the meeting yesterday. During his speech, he highlighted the importance of the manufacturing sector in the roadway out of the current recession.
“The manufacturing sector is well positioned to be a major driver of Nigeria’s economic growth because of our immense natural resources and the entrepreneurial spirit of Nigerians.”
Arising from this, President Buhari mentioned 5 steps his administration will use to ensure that manufacturing reaches an all-time high in the country.
- Implementing policies such as the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) and the National Enterprises Development Programme, which are critical achieving maximum manufacturing activities.
- Improving patronage of Made-in-Nigeria goods by Nigerians
- Bridging educational and skillset gaps existing between industry requirements and current educational facilities.
- Improve access to finance for Small and Medium Scale Enterprises
- Continued engagement of manufacturers and other private sector groups by government.
According to the President, these steps will ‘unleash the full potential of the manufacturing industry. He urged deliberations to be of national interest and geared towards reviving the economy.
Parts of this article originally appeared in Vanguard Newspapers