- The Standards Organisation of Nigeria,(SON) has raided a warehouse in Lagos stocked with live-endangering substandard automotive spare parts. This is in its efforts to ensure that fake products do not circulate in the country’s market.
- The Head, Inspectorate and Compliance, SON, Engineer. Bede Obayi expressed concerns, saying that despite all the efforts of the agency to sensitize the nation about the negative impacts of substandard goods on lives and property, particularly the economy at large, importers still indulge in the illicit trade.
- During an enforcement exercise in search of substandard goods in the country, Obayi pointed out that the importer of these live-endangering automotive spare parts, imports product with the name of already established and registered brands with the agency to deny Nigerians value for hard earned money spent.
“We have discovered this warehouse and the last time I remembered we told you that the operation flush out substandard goods in the country backed by the SON has just started. We must ensure that whenever we see these substandard products in the country, we are going to remove them from circulation,” he said.
- Obayi noted that the current level of substandard goods in the country is about 45 per cent, with concrete efforts to reduce it further to the barest minimum.
- He noted that the company has been importing these substandard automobile spare parts since 30th July last year, saying that within this period, the company has made 82 shipments of these fake and substandard products into Nigeria with about 194 containers.
- Source: NAN