nairametrics
UBA ads

Business News

10 Tips You Must Know When You Seek For A Bank Loan In Nigeria

Every business at some point in its operating cycle will require some form of finance to pay its short term indebtedness or to fund new projects or business plans, or to acquire operating assets. Individuals at some point in their life may also need bank loans to help fund the purchase of a car, mortgage for a house or buy house hold appliances.

1. You need to formally apply to a bank for a loan – When most people think of approaching a bank for a loan, they commonly ask for a business plan. However, not all businesses require a business plan. But all loans must require that you apply to the bank formally as such it is important that you are able to articulate your needs in your application letter.

UBA ADS

2. Banks charge interest on a per annum basis and they are not fixed– Banks do not charge interest rates per month but per annum. What this means is that when a bank offer a 20% interest on a loan it is per annum and not per month. For example, when you apply for a loan of N1million for a 3 month tenor at an interest rate of 20%, your interest will be N50,000. Which is 20% of N1million apportioned for just 3 months out of the 12. However, it can actually be lower depending on how often you repay the principal. Meaning if you repay N300,000 at the end of the first and second month and N400,000 for the third month your interest will be 20% of N1m for the first month =N16,667. Second month will be 20% on N700k for one month= N11,667 and finally N20% on N400k for one month = N6,667. The total is now N35k. The interest rates offered to you is also not cast in stone as banks often have a caveat in the offer letter that allows them to increase the rate whenever they feel the market conditions require it.

3. Different banks offer different interest rates and terms and conditions – Just the way the price of goods and services differ in the market so does the interest rates and terms and condition banks offer. Whilst some might favour you in terms of lower interest rates they might offer shorter repayment period. This takes me to the next point;

4. Never ignore the terms and conditions – When gives you an offer letter they aways include a set of “Other Terms and Conditions” or “OTC”. Usually, they differ from the conditions like collateral, interest rate, tenor (Terms and Conditions or TC) that most people prefer to look at. The issue however, is that when a loan goes bad and a bank takes you to court it is not the TC that often matter. The OTC is probably more important as it typically contains those issues that determine what the bank can do in the event of a default.

GTBank 728 x 90

5. Banks always ask for a collateral or some form of security – Banks no matter the type of loan you ask for will ask for some form of collateral. It could be a landed property, asset or even your personal guarantee. Sometimes they remember to register claim to these collateral in the court and sometimes they don’t. When they don’t they are at risk to loosing claim to the asset in times of default. But don’t be fooled the court may still recognize an encumbrance even if it isn’t registered.

6. Defaulting on repaying your bank loans when their due doesn’t mean the bank will take over your business – Yes, banks like to avoid the court as much as you do and quite frankly want you to succeed because your success and theirs is directly proportional. If you can’t pay back all of your loans, it is better to pay a portion of it that you are able to than not pay at all. Judges often take cognizance of that which positively helps your case. So when you default in repaying any portion of your loans endeavor to approach the bank and seek a new deal

7. You can always attempt to refinance or restructure your loan – Following from above, you can always approach your bank to restructure your loans if you think the current terms are not favorable to you. And it is not also when your loan is bad that you can approach a bank. You can also approach them when  your business is doing well and your are servicing your loans promptly. Business are such that the owners must constantly seek ways to improve its operational conditions you cannot just rest on your oars. Refinancing your loan involves approaching another bank to take over your existing loan as a new lender. You should utilize this option when the new bank offers your better T&C.

8. You can ask your bank for a moratorium – A moratorium is simply a bank permission to a borrower to suspend repayment of principal for a period of time. Because some business ideas require time to start making money despite borrowing from a bank, it makes sense to give the business some time and not burden it with huge cash outflows that it could better use in growing the business. Banks recognize that and will often allow borrowers a period of grace (one month, three months, one year etc) where they only pay interest and resume paying interest and principal at the end of the moratorium.

9. The biggest threat to defaulting is not your interest rate but your Debt Service Coverage Ratio (DSCR)-  Imagine two guys Mr A and B each borrow N1million but with Mr A told to repay over one year and Mr B over N3 years.They both get charged 20% per annum interest rates and will repay principal and interest at equal installments. Mr A will have to pay a total of N92k every month for one year till the loan is repaid whilst Mr B pays N37.1k every month for the next three years. Now assuming they both generate cash of N100,000 every month in their business who do you think will go default sooner should there be a sudden drop in revenue within the first year? Certainly it is Mr A, even though he pays less interest (total of N111.6k) compared to Mr B (N337.8k) over three years. This is because Mr A has a DSCR of 1.09x compared to Mr B with 2.7X. Provided Mr B’s business earns a return on his investments that is over 20% he almost sure to make a profit despite paying higher interests.

10. Banks have hidden charges – Apart from the interest rate bank charge, they also charge you fees and C.O.T. But off course we are familiar with these. However, banks also have other cost which they mostly do not tell you when you apply for a loan. For example, they deduct taxes whenever they charge you C.O.T or WHT when they are paying you an interest. They also charge you punitive interest rates whenever you default in payments even though your loan agreement provides a less punitive rates for such. It is important to always ask your accountant to conduct a monthly spot check on charges when they prepare bank reconciliation reports.

Ugo Obi-chukwu "Ugodre" is a chartered accountant with over 16 years experience in financial management, corporate finance and financial analysis. He is also a retail investor and a personal finance advocate with over a decade experience investing in the Nigerian stock market. Ugo is the founder/Publisher of Nairametrics and blogs regularly on the website.

1. onwe christain ikemefuna

January 18, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I am seeking for a loan of NGN2m

2. O.R

May 15, 2016 at 7:59 am

Thank u sir for the detailed explanation. I just secured a government job with a salary of 120k per month. I’d like a loan of 1.3million . What can of estimated interest will I be charged n how much will I deducted from my account. On a Two years payment plan.

• Nairametrics

May 15, 2016 at 11:40 am

At an interest rate of 24% you will be paying about N68, 732 monthly in both interest and principal repayments. That is more than half your monthly salary.

3. Boss

June 13, 2016 at 3:17 am

Well detailed. Is there a private message option? Or maybe email address? Need some serious advice regarding my loan repayments.

4. Emmanuel

November 16, 2016 at 8:31 am

If I have a personal loan running with a bank, and along the line I lose my job by cause of redundancy. Will insurance repay bank my outstanding balance?

• Nairametrics

November 16, 2016 at 9:01 am

They will if you insure the loan.

5. shittu

November 17, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Pls if I take a loan of 800k from first bank,for 3 years against salary,his much would be my total interest payment? What would happen if I later decide to pay off at d end of the first year.?do I still pay the interest for the 2nd year?

6. Julio

November 18, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Pls i need a fast answer for this.
    1. Which bank in nigeria has the lowest interest rate in Nigeria
    2. What collecteral would best fit a loan.
    3. What and what should be involved when going to bank for a loan
    4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of loaning system.

7. Rasheed

December 29, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Please if I apply for a loan and the repayment duration is 3months, I have payed for the first 2 months and the 3rd month elapsed on 12 December 2016, I have payed half of the 3rd month and I am yet to complete the remaining half and my bank is threatening to auction my goods, Pls what can I do to avert the auction…

I am a business man and business is not so fine lately…

Pls help me out

• Nairametrics

December 29, 2016 at 9:49 pm

If you cannot repay the loan within the timeline given, I suggest you officially write the bank asking for a restructuring. Explain your situation to them and ask them to spread the balance over two to three months. Let us know if you need help writing the letter.

8. Rasheed

December 30, 2016 at 8:13 am

I would really appreciate your assistance with the format to writing the letter and please the loan is a temporary advance fund from first city monument bank without a collateral, my business was used as the collateral… I would appreciate your response as soon as possible
    Thanks in anticipation.

9. Pingback: Writing A Financial Plan for your Nigerian Business | SMEHELP

May 13, 2017 at 12:38 am

I want to collect a loan of 50,000,000 to complete a hotel project what do u think would b my interest rate and how much will i be paying in duration of 4years

11. mr peter

May 25, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Dear Applicant
    Getting a legitimate loan have always been a big problem for customers experiencing financial problems. Issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always interested in finding a loan from a legitimate lender. But private credit services made ??a difference in the lending industry. Sanchez gray Loan firm, offer loans at 3% and is transferred to local and international clients. We had the privilege to meet their financial needs. * Loans to investors * Debt Consolidation * Second Mortgage * Business Loans * Personal Loans * International Loan * Social security and no credit check is a 100% guarantee. All you have to do is let us know what you want and will surely make your dream come true true. * Contact E = mail: E-mail:[email protected] or call +2347067284980
    Honestly, I’m waiting for your answer. Best Regards

Do you need a need? Personal Loans? Business Loans? Mortgage loans?
    Agricultural and project funding?
    We give out loans at 3% interest rate! Contact email
    [email protected] OR CALL +2347067284980

12. yo

May 28, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Dear Applicant
    Getting a legitimate loan have always been a big problem for customers experiencing financial problems. Issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always interested in finding a loan from a legitimate lender. But private credit services made ??a difference in the lending industry. Sanchez gray Loan firm, offer loans at 3% and is transferred to local and international clients. We had the privilege to meet their financial needs. * Loans to investors * Debt Consolidation * Second Mortgage * Business Loans * Personal Loans * International Loan * Social security and no credit check is a 100% guarantee. All you have to do is let us know what you want and will surely make your dream come true true. * Contact E = mail: E-mail:[email protected] or call +2349067084172
    Honestly, I’m waiting for your answer. Best Regards
    Do you need a need? Personal Loans? Business Loans? Mortgage loans?
    Agricultural and project funding?
    We give out loans at 3% interest rate! Contact email
    [email protected] OR CALL +2349067084172

13. ankie

June 27, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Pls I want to apply for a loan of 2million INA UBA where I have a salary acct. I have a government job and I earn 240,000. How much would I pay on a monthly basis if repayment is spread over a 1year period.

August 1, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Hello, I have a loan gone bad and the bank is on my tail and my job was terminated. I took an employee credit loan of 2,300,000 and was paid a benefit of 1,250,000,instead of the benefits to liquidate the loan, the bank deducted from the benefits monthly until they finished the money. Please what do I do?

15. Manuel

September 5, 2017 at 7:40 am

Please Sir, I want to get a loan with First bank N6M. HOW MUCH WILL I PAY BACK for a duration of 5years. Would it be possible for me not to pay back monthly but yearly till its complete??

16. Precious

May 4, 2018 at 11:10 am

Please sir am à student but i do business also am tired of door to door business i want to get loan of 500k to get à shop .but d problem is i dont have à land or house for collatéral is it possible to get the loan? Or is they anything else i can use lesser.

17. Mrs Aluya

May 18, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I am Sarah Aluya by name, I live in Lagos , i want to use this
    medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are
    scam everywhere.Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my
    desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost
    hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lenders
    called Conado Fin Consults who lend me an unsecured loan of $50,000
    under 24hours without any stress. If you are in need of any kind of loan
    just contact via: [email protected] I am using this medium
    to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the
    hands of those fraudulent lenders. And I don’t wish for any one else to
    pass through such hell that I passed through in the hands of those
    fraudulent online lenders,i will also want you to help me pass this
    information to others who are also in need of a loan once you have also
    receive your loan from Conado Fin Consults , i pray that God should give
    the company long life.

18. Daniel

May 19, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Do you know about the Infinite Banking and Family Banking concepts? If yes, and ideas on how we can apply it here in Nigeria.

19. Eke

May 20, 2018 at 9:16 pm

I took a loan of #3M from my bank and I had a problem in my business and I cannot be able to pay back immediately. Now I’ve applied for c of o which will be ready in 3months as a collateral to use and borrow from my bank so that I can pay back d other loan and use d balance to start off my business again. Should I explain this to my bank? Will they accept? to give me 2 to 3 months to pay back ie when I’m expecting d c of o to be used as a collateral. Pls I need reply via mail. Tnx.

20. Mr Micheal Peterson

May 26, 2018 at 8:05 am

Do you need an urgent loan, interest rate 3% if you are interested you can contact us today for a loan via Email:[email protected]

Best Regards

21. Olajuwon shakiru

June 21, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I need I loan of 2million to 3million but I have a house at Ajah but I don’t have c of o I only have deed of agreement from the family I bought the land from and receipt how can I make it

22. okerie

August 27, 2018 at 10:42 pm

I’m Mr. Paul from Jos, I want to get a loan of N5m for building project with 4yrs repayment period. Which bank do u advice I can contact that has low interest rate and what is your advice?

23. Rose Wayne

September 14, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Dear Applicant
    Getting a legitimate loan have always been a big problem for customers experiencing financial problems. Issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always interested in finding a loan from a legitimate lender. But private credit services made ??a difference in the lending industry. Sanchez gray Loan firm, offer loans at 3% and is transferred to local and international clients. We had the privilege to meet their financial needs. * Loans to investors * Debt Consolidation * Second Mortgage * Business Loans * Personal Loans * International Loan * Social security and no credit check is a 100% guarantee. All you have to do is let us know what you want and will surely make your dream come true true. * Contact E = mail: E-mail:[email protected] OR CALL +2349067084172
    Honestly, I’m waiting for your answer. Best Regards

24. Adiwu Yetty

May 1, 2019 at 3:43 am

I need your help
    Please I need 18,000 for Medicine
    Please help me !!
    God will also help you all
    3110993325
    First bank
    Oyeyinka Yetunde

25. Isaac

May 9, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Pls Sir I need a loan but the collateral is my junior brother’s property can that be possible?

Business

Shoprite to leave Nigeria After 15 years

Shoprite’s sales drop by 8.1% in Nigeria in H2 2019 over Xenophobic attacks

South African retailer, Shoprite International Limited says it will consider the potential sale of the majority stake of its Nigerian holdings, Retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited.

This was disclosed in the company’s operational and voluntary trading update that was published this morning.

UBA ADS

more details later

Business News

Gold prices soars following resurging COVID-19 caseloads

Gold futures gained 0.46% to trade at $1983 at about 6.41 am GMT.

Gold Up as U.S. hits Record Number of COVID-19 Cases, Gold stands firm above $1,800 over increasing virus fears and weaker dollar , Gold stands firm above $1,800 over increasing virus fears and weaker dollar

Gold started the first trading week on a bullish note at London’s trading session. This is coming on the heels of growing concerns about the ravaging Coronavirus pandemic, triggering gold traders to increase their bullish bet.

Gold futures gained 0.46% to trade at $1983 at about 6.41 am GMT

UBA ADS

Spot bullion surged 11% in July, the biggest monthly gain since 2012, as investors weighed a weaker dollar and record low U.S. real yields.

READ MORE: Exxon Mobil, Chevron record their worst losses in history

Why the sudden rush for gold?

The current global health crisis has prompted unprecedented amounts of stimulus being unleashed by the central banks in most emerged markets. There have also been other dovish monetary policies, including lower rates. All of these have combined to boost gold bulls in solidifying their bullish position on the short term.

GTBank 728 x 90

In addition, Stephen Innes, the Chief Global Market Strategist at AxiCorp in a note to Nairametrics buttressed the macros supporting the yellow metal’s bullish run he said

READ MORE: How the Coronavirus has impacted Forex trading

“Investors will continue to have a favorable view of gold partly on ongoing Covid-19 concerns.

“While gold demand shows few signs of retracing, the yellow metal could face fierce short-term resistance at $2000 given the growing view we could be at the end of the runway for the US yields to fall further. And the US Treasury is running out of the exorbitant privilege of the stronger dollar and safe haven flow.”

READ MORE: Naira: Analysts expect rate to hover around N440

Gold has moved through its all-time highs as the story continues to be the Federal Reserve’s money-printing coupled with the potential USD1 trillion fiscal stimulus packages for pandemic relief. Real rates continue to trend lower, and the dollar continues to weaken. Therefore, the environment should remain supportive of gold.

FEATURED

Data war: MTN takes over, gains 1.7 million subscribers, as Glo outshines Airtel in June

MTN gained 1.74 million data subscribers in June against the 882,458 it recorded in May 2020.

Data War: MTN edges our Airtel for first time in 5 months as 493,556 subscribers dump Glo, 9mobile , MTN is winning the data war, as 1.88 million subscribers dump Glo, 9mobile, Data War: MTN gains 8.18 million subscribers in 2019, as Airtel edges Glo, 9mobile

Although competition in the Nigerian telecommunication space has always been stiff, latest data seen by Nairametrics indicated that the competition is getting stiffer.

Telecommunications operators, especially in the data section, are giving each other a hot chase. Gone are the days when the biggest telecommunication firm automatically retains the top position. Recently, companies that were once described as fringe players are catching up really fast in terms of attracting new subscribers every month.

UBA ADS

For instance, in May 2020, Glo took other operators by surprise, dwarfing them to lead the chart as the telco with the highest number of subscribers in a month when it gained 8.302 million data subscribers. The indigenous telco grew from 28.934 million in December 2019 to 37.236 million by the end of May 2020, while MTN gained 4.75 million data subscribers. Airtel, which used to be the second-highest in subscriber growth after MTN, recorded 2.795 million. Unfortunately, 9mobile lost 812,827 subscribers within the same period.

READ MORE: Airtel loses over 100,000 subscribers in one month, as Glo chases MTN’s market share

MTN regains top position

According to data released by the Nigerian Communication Commission for the period ending June 2020, Nigeria’s largest mobile telecommunication company, MTN, gained 1.74 million data subscribers against the 882,458 it recorded in May 2020.

GTBank 728 x 90

Also, at the end of June 2020, the total number of data subscribers on MTN data network rose to 60.60 million from the 58.86 million it recorded in May. This means the telco added 1.74 million data subscribers.

READ MORE: Non-Performing loans hit 4-year low as Banks recover N496 billion

Glo attracted more subscribers, outshining Airtel (subscribers base) for the first time in years

Despite a challenging year for Globacom in terms of its data subscriber base, the telco took industry watchers by surprise, as its subscriber base chased, met and overtook Airtel’s In June 2020.

For the first time in years, the once second largest telco (subscribers base) lost its position to the indigenous company as the latter increased its base from 34.24 million in May to 37.97 by the end of June 2020. The Indian-owned telco only managed to increase its base from 37.32 million to 37.57 million within the same period.

On the other hand, 9mobile ended the month without attracting any data subscriber. According to the NCC data, 9mobile continues its steady decline, as a total of 16,000 subscribers dumped the network for others when it fell from 7.26 million subscribers to 7.10 million within the same period.

[READ MORE: MTN wins data war, as 1.88 million subscribers dump Glo, 9mobile)

In terms of market share, Glo is now trailing behind MTN, as the latter expanded its overall market share in June.

At the end of June 2020, MTN’s total data market share rose further to 60.60 million subscribers. On the other hand, Glo had 37.97 million, followed by Airtel’s 37.57 million and 9mobile’s 7.10 million.

Internet remains slow in Nigeria despite the advent of 4G network

The advent of 4G/LTE in the global telecom industry was accompanied by the expectation of fast internet speed. The 4G is the fourth generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology, succeeding 3G. Potential and current applications include amended mobile web access, IP telephony, gaming services, high-definition mobile TV, video conferencing, and 3D television.

devland
Coronation ads

READ MORE: Exxon Mobil, Chevron record their worst losses in history

While GSM companies continue to jostle for market share, it has often come at the expense of poor service and lack of accountability. Quite frankly, as an average internet user in Nigeria, one is usually left at the mercy of poor mobile internet services which frustrate one to seek limited alternatives.

GTBank 728 x 90
thegreenafricaproject 300x250

Nigeria’s internet download speed remains among the slowest in the world, and while the telcos continue to rake in heavy gains from data sales, consumers continue to groan for lack of fast and affordable internet services.

first bank